Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust leak and snapped bolt

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust leak and snapped bolt
    Posted: July-20-2013 at 8:11pm
I took the boat out today to hear the engine making lot of noise and found out I have exaust leak. I went to pull exaust manifold and the rear bolt was snapped. It somehow broke on its own. I got 1 other bolt out and looks like I lost about 1/2" on broke bolt. So I'm guessing it snapped off in head. It started raining so I didn't completly remove manifold yet. To me looks like I got a defective bolt. Anyone heard this happening before? Any tricks to getting piece of bolt out?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2013 at 9:19pm
Cole,
There are about 3 or more threads on the subject. A search will tell all. No, it's not a defective bolt!! Have you overheated the engine? That would be my first guess.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2013 at 11:04pm
Ok will take a look, as far as I know it's never overheated. The bolt had a impurity where it broke.
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 12:22am
what kind of boat? pretty common for them to rust out on the older SNs. take a dremel and cute a slice into the block deep enough to use a flat head screwdriver(deepest part will be in the bolt so don't worry about hurting to block it can take a few knicks). Usually they will turn out with a good soaking of penetrating oil. If you have an impact screwdriver that would be even better.
'94SN Restoration underway...
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 4:00pm
It's a Fishnautique. I just restored the whole engine 2 years ago everything is new. The bolt isn't rusted it sheared off by itself and caused exhaust leak. Reading on this site im guessing it happend when i flushed my engine. maybe the cold hose water running through hot engine caused it. I usually start and stop a lot moving from spot to spot also which i read you shouldnt do..The other bolts came out easy. Going to try center punch first.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 4:54pm
If the other bolts are out and the head is broke on the last one take the manifold off. You'll have something to hold on to and can probably get it to come out with some vice grips and a little penetrating oil. If its sheared off at or close to the block then you may be able to weld a bolt to it and twist it out with a wrench. An EZ Out isn't easy that's the last thing you want to use.
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 5:46pm
Got it out with screw extractor. It was broke off 1/16 below.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 6:50pm
The bolt failure cause may have been over torque.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic