Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Riser/Exhaust Manifold?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Finkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Riser/Exhaust Manifold?
    Posted: July-23-2013 at 6:32pm
I am one of those frustrated SN (1986) owners who is trying to track down the source of water in the oil. I've read lots of useful information on these forum, so thanks in advance for your assistance.

Here's what I've done thus far. Removed heads, exhaust manifolds, and intake manifold and had a machine shop check them. I'm not sure how well he was able to test the exhaust manifolds and risers, he did not take them apart.

I reassembled the engine with new marine gaskets and ran it in my driveway with a hose. There was no evidence of water in the oil. I gave it a test run on the water and after about 20 minutes I saw water droplets in the oil.

I am still suspicious of the exhaust manifolds. I pulled them off the engine, and found two of the exhaust ports (cylinders 1 & 2) showing rust (see pictures). Would this indicate a problem with exhaust manifold/riser or should I just plan on installing a re-built engine?

Finkster
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 11:25am
Pretty drastic step to put in a rebuilt engine to fix water in the oil without doing some investigation first to find out where it's really coming from????

I have no idea what you mean by having water droplets in the oil?? Not sure how you're seeing the water droplets or where.

The rust in the exhaust ports is a pretty good sign the manifolds or risers are an issue. I would like to know how the machine shop tested the manifolds.
Is there any signs of rust inside the manifolds or the risers? Are there any rust stains on the exterior of the manifolds below the riser gasket? Has the engine ever overheated?
You can remove the manifolds and plug the water outlet, fill the water jacket with water and leave it sit for a while to see if anything is leaking. Pretty simple really.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic