Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Won't Start: Bad gasoline?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Captain Ken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Won't Start: Bad gasoline?
    Posted: July-23-2013 at 6:35pm
1996 Ski Nautique GT-40. Began skiing this week with 1/4 tank of gasoline from last year. Ran rough and stalled a bit. Put 5 gallons of fresh gasoline in the tank and it ran fine until I was down to 1/8 of a tank. It began to run rough and stalled. I added a full tank of new gasoline, but I can't re-start the engine. Could it be that I sucked jellied gasoline into a fuel pump or filter? What role does the Fuel Control Cell play in protecting the fuel lines from bad gasoline?
1996 CC SN GT-40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 7:34pm
I have no idea on the FCC but I do know that this new gas seperates. Check out this link about it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 11:10pm
Sounds like fuel contamination. I would start by unscrewing the FCC. The bottom portion will unscrew just like an oil filter. It should be full of fuel. Dump the contents of the FCC into a clear container whether it be an old drinking glass or clear plastic cup. I'll bet you have water in there. If the fuel you removed from the FCC has water or bad gas (you can usually tell by the smell and color), it's safe to say you'll be draining the tank. The FCC does nothing to protect your fuel lines in between the tank and engine. It only protects the HPP and fuel rail/injectors.

*Note: you'll need to prime the FCC after re-installing it. This is done by turning the key to the "on" position, wait 5 seconds, and turn it back off. Repeat 3-4 times.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 10:59am
If you have a keypad, you need to press and let go quickly (hold it too long and the starter engages) 3-4 times. I would drain the FCC before unscrewing it. There's a small drain screw on the bottom.
Tim D
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 12:04pm
Absolutely start by draining but I'd also be ready to look for a FCC hose issue. If you have some time before you tear it apart call Vince at SkiDim and order the FCC hose kit. It's cheap and since you're taking it apart you might as well replace the hose, clamps and gasket while you're in there.

Our 96 acted the same way and it ended up being a pin hole in the hose. We replaced the hose, high pressure pump and the filter all at the same time.
firehorse5_0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehorse5_0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:52pm
Chris,
Speaking of you '96 is it still for sale? Check your PMs.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by firehorse5_0 firehorse5_0 wrote:

Chris,
Speaking of you '96 is it still for sale? Check your PMs.

PM Sent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic