NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil in exhaust water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil in exhaust water
    Posted: July-25-2013 at 12:13pm
Hi everyone!

I'm new here but not new to Nautiques. I just acquired my third nautique; an 87. In the past I had a 76 Tique, then a few years later, a 77 Nautique...anyway, on to my question to the braintrust.

This 87 was bought with some known issues, and more are becoming 'known' every day. My issue today is I'm seeing some oily residue in the exhaust water.

When purchased, I knew the boat needed a trans. cooler. It has now been replaced with a new one. It's been started (on the hose) in the driveway and put into gear(s) a few times with the new cooler to cycle out the old (wet) trans. fluid with new. At that point I hadn't noticed any oil in the exhaust water.

After doing some other work, and getting back around to starting it, I'm noticing the rainbow in my exhaust water.

The spark plugs were not rusty when changed. There is no water in the engine oil (that i can tell). There is no smoke (blue, white or otherwise) from the exhaust when running it.

What else could be the source of oil in the water output?

Thanks for any input.

-chow
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 12:39pm
Just a real easy one to checkoff before you get too far:
Have you oiled your teak swim platform recently?
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 12:45pm
You must have psychic powers.

Yes I did.

Another thing that just crossed my mind is; when running this time, I did let it rev a little more than previously....just quick stabs of the throttle up to ~2500 RPM.....I wonder if also may be finding residual oil from when the cooler was leaking.

hmmmm....

thx!
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 3:22pm
for the record, the boat has not yet been put in the water. I see the rainbow in the water on the driveway after running it on the hose.

I don't know if that negates the teak oil theory.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 3:42pm
Ahhh. Yes, that would negate the teak oil theory.

The idea of residual oil/tranny fluid in the exhaust is still possible.

Also, any parts replaced that may have been coated from the factory?
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 4:31pm
snookers!

No, no engine parts have been replaced in the mean time.

:(

-hoping it's residual but, while I have it out of the water and all apart, I'd like to cover my bases on things to check.

thx!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 5:05pm
Any chance the PO got rid of some 2 stroke mix in your boat?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2013 at 1:47pm
At this point, nothing would surprise me.
The PO wasn't a very honest person....as I'm finding out.

Seeing as I knew the tranny cooler was bad, I've still got my fingers crossed for it being residual....apparently, that's the only way oil could get in there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic