Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

warm start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ErikSaengerhausen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikSaengerhausen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: warm start
    Posted: July-27-2013 at 12:49am
Hi, new boat new questions..

82 ski nautique

starts cold great but after she warms up she will just turn and turn I usually have to let her sit awhile then she will start but shes not happy about it. once running she is fine unless I turn her off again then she is back to being stubborn. Also when I am idling and "click it into gear" trying to get rope to skier she acts like she wants to die. slight hessitation at take off then purrrs like a kitten..

Any suggestions?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 12:57am
Sounds like you need carb work. The next time you run it,when you shut down pull the arrester and look in. If you see fuel dripping you need a rebuild,it floods the engine and makes for hard starts
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ErikSaengerhausen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikSaengerhausen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 12:59am
OK I will try that tomorrow. Thanks!
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 1:25am
I had similar issues and then had my carb rebuilt, issue went away. After the rebuilt, I notice slight lack of power at full throttle and it ended up being choke thermostat, was not operating the choke properly. So far so good...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 10:51am
Most likely you will see fuel going down the front two venturi. If you don't see fuel make sure that the choke is opened completely when it is hot. Even being half way closed can really effect hot starts.

If you can't spring for a full rebuild in the middle of the season rip the front bowl off replace the needle and seat and grab new screw gaskets and a bowl gasket. Verify float level as well. (don't use automotive spec for the float adjustment or it will blow fuel out of the boosters all day long and not run).

We just had a customer bring a boat in that had some auto goon working on it. The choke was broken and the float level was way to high. The guy had the thing idled up to like 1100 rpm to get it to run. Adjusted float set idle screw and adjusted the mixture screws until it starts with the key.

Everyone gets bent on replacing carbs with fuel injection. I am by no means a carb wizard but with proper tuning stock carbed boats run just like they are fuel injected.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic