Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water in oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
subpainter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water in oil
    Posted: July-27-2013 at 11:39pm
took the boat out yesterday for the second time this year, it is a 85 SN. the first time I went out was a test run and everything seemed to run fine was only out for about an hour or so no problems. yesterday after we had been out for about an hour and a half it started running rough and hesitating, temp seemed fine never went above 150-160. Got home and pulled the dipstick and it was a creamy mess plus when I opened the engine cover I noticed a little oil mixed with water on the up side of the bilge but could not see where it came from on the engine. both exhaust manifolds are cracked and leak water so I am pulling those to replace them. also I pulled the spark plugs and none of them were fouled they all looked very clean. will check the compression later tonight and post the results. Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the people on this forum seem to have a great deal of hard earned knowledge.
Thanks in advance
Tim
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2013 at 8:57am
Maybe you will be lucky & the water source is the manifolds. Replace them, change oil several times, & run it again.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2013 at 1:59pm
Yes, hopefully it's the manifolds. The combination of water in the oil and rough running makes me wonder a bit though whether it could be an intake gasket or something else.

When you change the oil, it's hard to get the oil/water mess out with just oil. I'd add one of the engine flush products or a quart of diesel fuel or kerosene in place of one quart of oil. Run the engine 5 minutes at 1000 rpm max, then drain and refill with new oil and filter. Even after that, once you're sure you've got your problem solved, I'd do one more quick oil change after a few hours of run time.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 2:13am
performed a compression check today had to perform it cold as I had already pulled the manifolds to replace them. Here are the results

1. 100
2. 120
3. 90
4. 120
5. 105
6. 80
7. 120
8. 120
any thoughts?
Tim
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 11:21am
Maybe on the low side, but gauges definitely vary. With your high of 120 you might want to see a low of 90 (75% of the high) so #6 with 80 might be suspect.

But, are these numbers with the milkshake oil still in the engine?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 12:17pm
Run it and then take #3 and #6 plugs out and shoot some air in and see if any water comes out. Also cracked ceramic on the plug is a sign of water.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 2:24pm
63 Skier
yes it was with the water still in the oil.
I guess what I am wondering is should I put the new exhaust manifolds on and change the oil and see what happens or do these numbers justify taking the heads off for a rebuild.
Thanks
Tim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 4:11pm
I'd say its time for a leakdown test to determine the source of your low compression.

How long have the exhaust manifolds been cracked? If theyve been letting water into the cylinders for a while, it wouldnt surprise me if the exhaust valve seats are rusted and causing your lower compression numbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic