Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'77 Trailer Bearings

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '77 Trailer Bearings
    Posted: July-30-2013 at 1:55am
Hello experts!

My '77 trailer has a wheel bearing that is throwing grease all around the inside of the wheel. Outside is nice and clean. I did some searching on the forum and found some good info but all that I found assumes at least a basic knowledge of the bearing setup for these trailers. I, however, am a complete newb when it comes to trailer bearings. I know bicycle wheel bearings but have never done any work on an automotive wheel bearing.

What's the best way to diagnose?

Jack up the trailer and remove the wheel... then??

Thanks!
Dug
'93 Ski Nautique Black/Teal
'77 Ski Nautique. Loved it. Let it Go.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 2:13am
Sounds to me like a bad inner seal. I recommend you attach the trailer to a vehicle while jacking it up to keep it from spinning and dropping on you. Pull the cap and then take apart what you see and tell us what you find. Its very similar to the bike bearings, but the bearings are not loose and should not spill out everywhere unless they are completely toast.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 2:25am
Awesome! Great suggestion and I shall.

Thanks!
'93 Ski Nautique Black/Teal
'77 Ski Nautique. Loved it. Let it Go.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 3:10am
There is likely a broken spring on the inside of the seal. Mine were broke both sides so I had to replace them. I noticed that the bore of the hub will allow you to press the seals in too far, so be careful when driving them in.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 9:25am
You will need to take a dowel rod & tap the seal / inner bearing out. Have a rag ready to catch them. Clean the bearings in solvent & repack with grease. Check the races for scoring. Don't over tighten nut when putting back together.

Good luck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 12:41pm
Watch a video on how to pack wheel bearings with your hand. The grease must be pushed thru the tapered roller bearings and cage. You can't just roll it around in grease.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 2:02pm
Good tip Gump. A bearing packer sure makes the job easier but I have done it old school many times.

With all the modern sealed wheel bearings on cars I would question the ability of younger mechanics to actually even know how to hand pack a wheel bearing.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 8:33pm
Look at the spindle surface where the seal rides. If it has ANY pitting that won't clean up, the solution is to install a Speedi-Sleeve.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 9:11pm
Maybe Pete,I could not find one to fit mine,typical oddball Correct Craft sizes just like their springs
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 11:28pm
Pete, U the man

I've had the same problem since I bought our 81 SN back when. One wheel slings grease on the backside and the other is clean. The clean side has a sleeve on it. MidWest said CC never put these on the axles and had no explanation why one side was sleeved and the other not. Nor did they have any idea where I could buy one. I knew the sleeve was tightening the seal but never seen one used on an axle before. After looking for a few years, I gave up trying to fix it and simply clean up the mess when I do the bearings.   The axles don't show any signs of wear in the sealing area so maybe they are somehow slightly undersized? Now to see if I can find one before bearing cleaning time.

Thanks
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic