Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator wiring
    Posted: August-03-2013 at 3:57pm
Hey experts

I've got a mid-80's motor (at least that was what I was told by PO) in a '77 ski nautique with apparently original wiring harness. This is the same motor that I figured out last fall (with great help from Zach!!) needed to have a ballast resistor wired in to solve a sputtering when warm issue.

- I'm getting no charge at the battery (tested with multimeter and stayed at 12.x volts) and discovered that the alternator on this motor does not have Green/Brown/Black wires coming off of it nor appears to be designed to have that configuration. It only has the Orange and a yellow wire.

- Currently the Green/Brown/Black are taped off at the alternator side

- the Yellow wire off the alternator is also not connected to anything.

I suspect that this alternator is alt+regulator combined (looks like it) and my wiring harness is designed for alternator only, with the regulator sitting on the back of the engine.

Is there a way I can make this alternator work with my wiring harness?? Any tips on how to figure this out??

Thanks much y'all

d

View of Alternator and taped off wires:

View of regulator:
'93 Ski Nautique Black/Teal
'77 Ski Nautique. Loved it. Let it Go.
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 4:11pm
I found this wiring diagram on the forum, which is different than the wiring diagram found in the Reference > Engine manual section. Looking at this one, it appears I could run the yellow off the alternator back to my Ballast Resistor...right?

If I do that am I messing with my setup that has an ammeter (I believe) in the dash?

So many questions....so many questions... sorrry. I'm not well versed on the electrical side of things yet. But getting there! :)

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31014&KW=alternator+wiring&PID=402087&title=100amp-alternator-upgrade-boat-wont-start-now#402087
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 4:30pm
Here's the diagram:
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 4:40pm
This is tricky.

You've got a 70's boat hull with an 80's motor and potentially a more modern alternator.

Some of the newer alts are one wire only, so you have to figure out what the alternator actually is.
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 5:29pm
The alternator is a Motorola 8rg2009a
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 6:46pm
Did you get anywhere:

I found this:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1096

This PDF Version reads a bit better but same info:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/howtos/Tech_Marine_Alternator_tips.pdf

The only thing I see about an alternator having a yellow, is at the end and refers to that going to an external regulator.

Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 8:31am
I'm in the process of changing my alternator. Pulled voltage regulator and exposed all the wiring. Once I get it installed and running, I'll post my results and what I did. I bought my alternator from Nautiqueparts. It was the $199 51amp replacement. They have some wiring instructions in the "other photos" of the alternator on the website.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic