Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt40 running hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ah1joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ah1joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt40 running hot
    Posted: August-05-2013 at 1:15am
today my 01 sport with gt40 reached 200 degrees on a normal mid idle wake board run. the boat has a new impeller this year.
I let the boat cool and checked the strainer which was normal and when taken off and placed back on filled with water at engine start. the risers and manifolds were very hot and both manifold intake hoses were hot. Any ideas??
thermostat stuck closed?
rwp not doing its job?
Bad impeller?
Boat has ran at 160 degrees steady all year with no flux.
temp stayed the same at slow and moderate speeds.
Also concerned about the motor getting overheated. I did not run it long once it was identified. I only started after it cooled to see if it heated up again which it did so I shut it down and accepted the tow back to the dock.
at the dock the intake under the boat was free of anything.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:35am
Did someone lose the strainer o-ring?

Did the strainer bowl or upper body crack?

Did a hose weaken enough to flatten under RWP suction?

Any hose clamps loose and leaking into bilge?

Did the impeller shed a few blades? This is very easy to check. One way is to check the gallons per minute pumping (I forget the spec). The better way is to pull the pump and take off the cover. Make a note of which way the housing side screw is facing (toward or away from engine block).

I suppose something could have happened to the key between the shaft and the impeller, so check that, too. Easy to see once open.

If it were a thermostat stuck closed, wouldn't the manifold intake hoses be nice and cold? It sounds to me like the RWP is not pumping enough cooling water at RPM.

My bet is that you lost the strainer o-ring or the impeller is toast.

boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:37am
Oh, since I'm trying to list all possibilities, I assume you checked the belt that drives the RWP pulley... (condition and tension)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic