Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter motor won't stop turning engine over

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
starbox189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbox189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter motor won't stop turning engine over
    Posted: August-05-2013 at 9:23am
I have a 1981 South wind with a 351. When I try to start the engine, the starter motor engages and turns the engine over but it will not stop trying to turn the engine over even with the key turned off. I have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. When I touch the battery cable to the battery post it starts to turn over. I put in a new key switch but that didn't help. I don't think it's a stuck solenoid. Any suggestions?

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 9:30am
+1 on stuck solenoid. They are not a marine item, so just go to an auto parts store & get one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 9:30am
With your ignition switch off, have someone with a voltmeter set to measure the voltage at the solenoid ignition post as you briefly touch the battery cable to the battery post. If it's 12V, something is closing your start circuit. If it's 0V and the starter still spins, your solenoid is sending 12V to the starter when it shouldn't.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 11:17pm
Are you running a deep cycle battery by any chance?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 9:37am
Low battery voltage can cause the solenoid to get stuck. Also if the brushes are worn down too small that can cause more voltage draw and cause it to get stuck.
Tim D
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 11:09am
+1 on the solenoid. I had the same issue, Like Tim said, low voltage will cause the contacts to weld shut. I replaced it two or three times before I finally replaced the battery cables which had corroded internally. If those battery cables are from 1981 I would go ahead and replace them as well.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 4:13pm
There was a problem for a long time with the starter relays. Some folks call it a "solenoid," which isn't technically correct. The solenoid is the magnetic actuator on the starter itself that throws the drive gear into the flywheel when energized. The relay is the electrically-operated "switch" that connects the + battery cable to the starter.

Sometimes a weak battery will cause the relay to stick. Next time it happens, just open the box and smack the gray plastic cover that's over the relay with your fist. It will cause the relay to unstick. I would suggest that you NOT use one from the auto parts store. It is not Coast Guard approved, and if you ever had a fire your insurance company would have an easy out. I know, I know, they look the same, but the marine ones have spark arrestors in them. Look for the words "Marine SAE J1171 stamped or printed on the base. Your insurance adjustor will look for it. SkiDim has the proper ones. Yes, they cost more.
Art

Art
"Art"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 11:08pm
Art - Thanks for setting me straight on marine starter relays. I was under the impression there was no difference.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic