Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield Needed 176 1998

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
307michaels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield Needed 176 1998
    Posted: August-07-2013 at 11:49am
Looking for a front windshield for my 176 Ski Nautique (1998).
Some kid was playing disces with a 5 lb rock and blew out the front windshield missing 3 people and glass everywhere. Any direction or help would be great.
Mike
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 1:34pm
Sounds like you just need the glass and not the frame, correct? I am quite certain that piece of glass was flat, so having something cut locally should be an option.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 8:05pm
The glass is curved (bowed) on that model. If it was flat it would be easy to replace. Talked with Taylor Made and they are the company who made it, and all they need is a part number. Problem with that is no one will give me the part number. Correct craft told me to contact a dealer to call them. It is a big run around. If anyone has the part number that is as good as a new windshield.
Thanks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 8:57pm
$5 says the glass is flat, and installed with a slight curve. Price it out locally if you can't get a part number... I bet Zach at n3 could help you out with that though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 10:41pm
Thanks for the info. I would hate to try to flex the 1/8" glass that much. I will check on the curve though.
Thanks again.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 9:38am
Dont worry about flexing the glass... the factory didnt! The only curved panes I can think of on CC's are the rounded plexi ones used into the early 70's and the corner panels used on '93/94+ Ski and Sport Nautiques. Everything else is flat glass, installed with a slight curve. Im sure the 176 falls into this category. I have removed windshields from several- all are flat, despite how they look installed. Common misconception.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 5:43am
Originally posted by 307michaels 307michaels wrote:

Thanks for the info. I would hate to try to flex the 1/8" glass that much. I will check on the curve though.
Thanks again.

A search would show up threads discussing flat glass being cured by the frame. Tim is correct.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 10:29am
When you lay a 6 foot level horrisontal accross the two uprights, the bow in the glass measures 3 3/4 inches. I talked to the glass guys around Jaskson Hole and they said no way you can fex 1/8" safety glass that much. What year boat weere you flexing the glass on? The beam on a 176 is a foot smaller than a 196 so the flex is greater over a shorter distance. I will probably have to go custom glass unless I find someone parting out a 176. Thank you for all your input.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 10:50am
Hopefully you are getting your glass info from someone more knowledgable than your source of boat information- the 176 is only 3" narrower than the 1990-2009 196 (88" vs 91").

There is at least that much deflection in my 90 windshield. The 176 was a price point boat- it wouldn't have made sense for cc to put a custom piece of glass in the windshield, especially since it appears to be flat!

Again, I haven't disassembled a 176 windshield, but if you can find someone who has, I bet they'll confirm my theory.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A search would show up threads discussing flat glass being cured by the frame. Tim is correct.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Hopefully you are getting your glass info from someone more knowledgable than your source of boat information-

Tell us more about were you are getting the info. Did you even bother to do some searching for threads about curving glass into the frame? I have a feeling you are talking to the wrong people and not listening to us.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 3:50pm
I just left a message at Taylor Made systems with their part number and I will try and find their manufacturing specs and the flex issue.(They made the original.} Monday, I will contact the glass guru at Correct Craft and see what he has to say. I believe you about letting the frame flex the glass but I need to know what year and model and the amount of bend to compare. Was your flexed glass 1/8" or 3/16" ? When you flex the glass you stress it and I don't it to blow up the first time I slap a wake. The people I talked to were auto and house glass installers not boat guys. I am new to CorrecrCraftfan and I really appreciate all your help and yes I will read the forums about flat glass.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 4:44pm
Ill be back at my boat Monday morning (1996 176).

I can take a picture of the glass and at least confirm if there's a curve to it.

Hope that helps.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Did you even bother to do some searching for threads about curving glass into the frame?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:40am
Water Bonnet and Taylor Made made the windshields for the 176. Same thing different manufacturers. That was when Water Bonnet was on their way out.

The process to make a piece of glass bend is to cut the glass to size and then temper the glass. You can't cut tempered glass but you can bend it. Every windshield from 1980-86 and 1989 ski/footer and 1990 footer were all flat pieces of glass that bent when installed. Like Tim's 90 1990-1993 Ski Nautique was also bent. I am betting they used this means of windshield because it was cheaper than making a nice curved piece of glass on a price point boat.

If your glass guys don't know of this process then you probably need to look at going with a different shop.

If it can't happen there is the outside chance I could have Correct Craft cut a piece of glass if they have the spec.(they still make the pane for the 82-86 Ski and the 90-93 Ski.

These are prone to break (case in point) because of the glass being bent instead of curved. The added pressure makes it more prone to breakage from impact.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 3:20pm
I contacted Eric Able (the glass guru) at Correct Craft and the windshield is no longer made. I talked to Andy Coco(custom glass) at Taylor Made Systems and he can make me a custom frame and glass for $3,000- $4,000 plus shipping.   If some one were to attempt to bend tempered glass to fit a frame, what would be the correct procedure? Would you install the rubber moulding first with a small bead of RTV silicone to hold it then greese the channel track and try and side it in while pushing out in the middle?   If anyone has experience in installing and flexing a windshield, please give me some much needed info. Thanks, Mike
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 3:23pm
The bend is so gradual that there is no special installation process needed. Of course, you need to remove the windshield from the boat and unscrew the frame, but Im assuming you already knew that.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 3:54pm
While I have no experence with the flat glass and newer boats I do have some with the older curved models as I had to replace the rubber/cork glass to aluminium frame mounting seal. Grease would be a bad idea,you need something like a soap or a tire mounting lubricant that will not attack the moulding and just as importantly something that dissipates so that it does not want to slide apart when you don't want it to. In my case after doing some online searches,kerosene is used in the glass industry to lubricate the rubber and soften the cork.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 4:55pm
    I was thinking of using 1/8" masonite to build a template leaving 1/8" gap all the way around inside the rubber moulding so I don't bind up. Having the glass manufacturer round the edges over a little before tempering might help in not slicing the moulding. I was also thinking of using silicone spray lubricant to help slide the rubber moulding into the aluminum channel.
    I did not know that you had to remove the entire frame from the boat to install the windshield but it makes good sense as the frame will aid in flexing the glass. Thank you. I was thinking automotive not marine.    You guys are great. Thanks for all your insight.    Michael
2DLake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2DLake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 9:09pm
Michael,

If you can source the glass, installing it is no big deal. I have had to replace the one in my 90 Ski twice in the last 20 years. First time due to rope recoil were the handle whizzed by the wife's head, through the windshield, coming to rest on the bow (she was not impressed). Second time something on the road, I think was a direct hit in a super massive pot hole popped it.

Anyway, all I had to do was take the two screws out that hold the top of the frame in. Remove the gasket to make sure you have all the old glass out. I lubricated the side gaskets with dish washing liquid and the new glass slid right in. As I recall, the angle of the side pieces of the frame start the bend, but as you get closer to the bottom frame just apply gentle pressure and the glass will bend and slide into place.

I did mine by myself but it would be easier with two people. Also be aware of the dash behind the the instrument panel so it doesn't end up looking like this:

Good luck,

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 3:51pm
    So you didn't remove your frame from the boat, you just removed the top channel, splayed the side uprights out a little, and slid it in the rubber with some dish soap. My window is a trapazoid, narrower at the top, and my flex is about 3 3/4" out so I guess we will see what works best.   Thanks, Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 307michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 3:54pm
Thanks for the dash tip. Maybe I will throw a piece of leather over it before I start. Mike
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 5:58pm
Keep in mind Mike that Taylor Made didn't have a boat when they put it all together. When I did mine I used two horses and a sheet of plywood to make a bench and covered that with a couple of Harbor Freight moving blankets.IMO doing it on the boat is an invitation for disaster---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic