Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Ski Nautique 351W engine overheat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jax904 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Ski Nautique 351W engine overheat
    Posted: August-09-2013 at 1:58pm
Hey everyone, new to the site. My name is Aaron and new proud owner of these amazing boats but I do have a problem. I recently purchased this 1987 ski nautique 2001 that mainly needs a little vinyl work and paint work done. I took it out last night for a little ride after I put a new acme 542 prop on to test it out. Everything ran good, but after about 30 mintues of running, as I was idling back to the boat ramp I noticed a sputter in the engine and then it shut off. I powered the boat back on with one crank and started going again and then it started to sputter again so I gave it some gas and the sputter went away. As soon as I was back in idle to the dock it started to sputter again and shut off, luckly I was close to the dock at this point. I then noticed my temp gauge was reading about 210 which I know is high. During me running the boat 10 minutes ago it was at around 170. I took the engine cover off and tried to start the motor again and it would turn over but not crank up. I also notice there was a little bit of smoke coming from the carb. I did not want to push anything so I manually put it on the trailer. Like I said I just purchased it and the guy who owned it previously hasn't used it in a while. I know I need to do a tune up kit and change the impeller and also an oil change because you really never know when you buy anything motorized. Could there be anything else they may be the cause of this happening. I took a look around the outside of the engine and did not see anything that stuck out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 3:32pm
impellers can shred themselves, and send vanes through the cooling system. I'd check that first, along with going through each of the hose connections,and tightening them, and checking for weeds in the strainer, and in the transmission cooler inlet.   

On the stalling portion, could be carb, pull the bowls off and see how clean things are in there.   If the carb was rebuilt with Holley parts, the blue gaskets are supposed to be reuseable.   

Welcome
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 4:22pm
Did you have any accessories or lights on?
jax904 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 1:00pm
Dreaming, I will check all those things thank you.

Hollywood, no lights or accessories are on
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 12:56am
Hey jax904,

I also am new to the forum. I bought a 1981 Ski Nautique last month knowing it requires a complete rebuild. I live in the Nocatee/Ponte Vedra area. I work weekend nights at Mayo in the ER, but feel free to call me if you need help or another set of eyes. I have lots of tools and will travel!!

Rex
jax904 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:24am
Hey Rex,
I appreciate the help. Later this week prob wed or Thursday I was going to inspect everything and do a tune up and all that if you are available, I'm kinda just teaching myself everything as I go. I live right by Clark's fish camp off julington creek rd.

Thanks, Aaron
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:31am
Aaron, Joe C lives in the J'ville area and sticks his head in here every once in a while. He is always at the SJRR, has a 76 and has done some engine work as his too was overheating a couple years ago at the river. Don't recall what the fix was but you might wanna PM him a message. Might be able to give you a hand and some insight as well.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

his too was overheating a couple years ago at the river. Don't recall what the fix was but you might wanna PM him a message.

Tim,
Was it Joe's RWP that wouldn't work with the Sierra impeller? Art had a extra OEM impeller and it worked. It was a good example of the Sierra impellers being junk.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 10:25am
Pete,
I wanna say that it was Marty's Skylark that you are describing. Maybe he will chime in to confirm.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 10:41am
It was Marty
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:12pm
Sent you a PM.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic