NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cranks, No Start, No Spark (351 5.8 HO)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cranks, No Start, No Spark (351 5.8 HO)
    Posted: August-18-2013 at 11:43am
1999 351 5.8/HO w/Prestolite Breakerless Distributor
PCM/Prestolite Electronic Ignition with no external ballast resistor

Cranks, no start, no spark (gas, compression, and Emer switch ok)

Sparks once at coil secondary at key-off only
Battery at 12v (good)
Positive primary coil terminal measures 9v grounded to engine (good), measures 6v when grounded to coil negative terminal (dubious)
Primary coil resistance is 1.5 ohms (good), secondary coil resistance is 11.4 ohms (good)
Test light on coil stays on/does not pulse while cranking (that is not good)
Can cause coil to discharge by bridging gap (set at .010") between EI pickup and trigger w/a screwdriver (possibly ruling out coil, since it is discharging?)

So what do you think?

Suspect that the coil is fine, but being hung up from doing it's thing from some point down the line, and that means either the distributor or the ground, as it's not tied to anything else. It also gets good and hot with the key on, didn't take long to do that, and I took care not to leave it on. WAG is that the ground wire from neg side of coil could be bad (cheap fix if I can find the issue) or the ignition sensor/pick up got fried (expensive).

Ran great for me as always 2 weeks ago and years prior, but guests have used it since then. So, my favorite theory is that someone left the ignition in the run position for too long, and toasted the little EI pick-up.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

'99 SN Air Tique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 10:53pm
+1 on your theory. Since you got the coil to fire, it's got to be the trigger circuit.

Mallory E spark is a good reliable replacement, not sure if they have one to fit Prestolite though.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 1:23pm
Ugh.

After a bit of internet learning, it appears that the ignition module for my engine is NLA. Seems to come from the Prestolite/Crusader parts bin (CRU-41090).

Anyone have any parts suggestions for my carbed, non-ballasted 2-wire set up?

'99 SN Air Tique
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 7:55pm
For those riveted to this topic now or in the future , I found an exact replacement part for the Prestolite Electronic Ignition Module at Lighthouse Marine Supply which I will try. That said, my buddy the electronics guru found a nice looking replacement module for this same distributor (which must be common for a lot of us) here at Hot Spark. It looks a fair bit more robust than the one I just bought. Maybe this will help others in the same predicament - sharing is caring and all that.

'99 SN Air Tique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 10:54pm
I have the same set up as you so good to know on the replacement. Interested to hear how it works out.
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 12:54pm
Success! Partman/Lighthouse Marine Supply to the rescue. I installed the no-longer-available replacement ignition module that Partman had available (OEM) for $90, and the boat is running like new. Once I installed and hooked up the battery I heard the fuel pump prime (good sign), and a quick twist of the key was all it took. That sure beats dropping over three hunge on a new distributor.

In case anyone is in a similar situation, here is the link to the replacement part. I say get one while they got 'em. BTW, a standard playing card is exactly .010" and makes for a perfect non-conductive gapping tool. I, of course, used the Joker - not to save the deck - but for the devilish grin staring back at me.
'99 SN Air Tique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 1:32pm
Nice! Good you fixed it.

So, yours has an electric fuel pump? Just curious, I have the same distributor but with a mechanical pump.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 4:11pm
I too am curious! What does the module have to do with the fuel pump?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 4:21pm
Errata on my part. I have the mechanical fuel pump. Something spun up down there upon power up, and it definitely was not the bilge pump.
'99 SN Air Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic