NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

K&N marine chrome air filter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautique74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K&N marine chrome air filter
    Posted: August-30-2013 at 1:35pm
I wanted a chrome air filter for my boat and was told the paper elements are not flame retardant (will not pass USCG) so I put on the reusable cotton element. Then K&N came out with a marine unit.

What's the diffrence in the K&N chrome "marine" air filter and a K&N chrome "auto" air filter?

They're both chromed metal and a cotton reusable element.
1974 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 1:42pm
We have ran a K and N flame arrestor which looks identical to any regular filter I have seen.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 1:44pm
That's what I thought.
1974 Ski Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 2:29pm
Uses a lot of space under the engine box ..... If you got the space, I like it.

Since this pic - I have placed the correct valve cover hose vent bib on the air cleaner.

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 2:32pm
The element isn't paper - It's bimetal with cotton-like batting between the metal mesh.......
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 2:44pm
Does that thing fit a 4160? I looked for one before I did the paint and stripe job and couldn't find one that fit, the outside of the lip on the 4160 is about the same size as the opening on most of the K&N'S filters, I really didn't need another $100 lesson on what parts don't quite fit.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Uses a lot of space under the engine box ..... If you got the space, I like it.

Since this pic - I have placed the correct valve cover hose vent bib on the air cleaner.

So, is there anything inside of the metal lid part or is it flat like the outside?
1974 Ski Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 4:29pm
Not sure exactly what you mean.... but it's pie tin, rubber-coated, bi-metal air filter (circular like car air filter) and pie tin again.

Check out the K&N site for marine engine fitment. The site has specs for mounting diameters.... There also was a thread on here earlier in the year.
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 11:39pm
about $100 bux lol. As pointed out above the marine version uses a different material for the filter that is flame resistant. Same rubber ring design sandwiched inbetween 2 chromed saucers just like the automotive version. I have one on my other boat. Don't count on any performance difference. From what I've seen you need to have a serious engine to get any performance increase. Only reason I did it was my original one got crushed and the K&N was $20 cheaper than the oem one. You could probably get your stocker top piece shined up or chromed for cheaper if that's all you're looking to achieve. Also keep in mind all the ones I came across for my diameter carb were about .5-1" thicker than the stocker, make sure you got enough room under the box.
'94SN Restoration underway...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 3:36pm
Thanks!!
1974 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic