Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Idle problems with 83 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
83SNGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SNGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idle problems with 83 SN
    Posted: September-02-2013 at 9:38pm
My 83 Nautique has been running great all summer until the last couple of weekends. My problems began with a cold start at the boat ramp when it did not want to idle when it was cold. After running it a while it seemed to do OK the rest of the day.
Now it will crank and runs fine at fast idle but when i pull it back to neutral it will idle at 600 for a moment or two then drop a couple of hundred RPMs and shutter and cut off.

I checked the inlet filter on the Holley and replaced the points, condenser, cap and rotor but it has not improved.

Anyone have any ideas????????????????

thanks
Marshall
NC
mdc615
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 12:00am
Not an expert but will give it a try....

Did you ever run the boat with low to no gas? See if you are dumping fuel in the carb, open the choke plate and take a look. It's possibly you have debris causing the floats to stick. I had similar problem and had to remove the air/mixture screw and blew some carb cleaner through it following it with air. Did some adjustments and runs good.

Good luck
83SNGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SNGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 11:12am
Thanks Kostas,
I will give that a try...
mdc615
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:09pm
Was just going through the same issues. While the boat is running close both of the air/fuel screws on the metering block and see if the boat continues to idle.
83SNGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SNGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:21pm
Thanks Henner, I will try that and see what happens......
mdc615
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:32pm
If it is truly running off the idle circuits you should be able to kill the engine with one mixture screw.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 1:22pm
When you mean base gasket do you mean carb to intake or throttle body to main body?

The intake to carb gasket has to come from PCM to my knowledge because it has thicker side on the drivers side of the engine to cover up the exhaust cross over port.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic