Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Disengaging in bumpy water.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jeff.hancock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Disengaging in bumpy water.
    Posted: September-10-2013 at 8:19pm
Having a problem and my authorized serivce shop can't figure it out.

2006 226 Air Nautique Team Edition.

Once i get up on plane and bump over rough water (just other boat wakes) the RPM's drop to idle speed.   Transmission is engaged mechanically, but prop is not turning. Put in neutral, foward and reverse and you an hear the transmission engage, but prop will not turn and throttle will not run RPM over enhine idle.

If I cut engine of and restart, everything works until I start bouncing around and problem repeats.

My dealer in Atlanta charged me $200 and couldn't find anything. They say they hooked up diagnostic but I question if they know what they are doing.   Looks like I am going to have to figure this out!    Anyone know a good service outfit in the Atlanta / lake Lanier area?   Or have any idea what my problem is?

Thanks!
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 9:06pm
I think one problem is that stealer in Atlanta owes you 200 bucks.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 9:17am
Start at the basics for screwy problems like this. The harness plugs would be my first stop. Split them open, clean, inspect and re-assemble. Next is all engine grounds and power cable connections, especially grounds. Pull on the ring terminals to make sure you dont have a bad crimp and dont forget the ones behind the battery switch. If it was an actual propulsion system issue it would go into protect mode and set a code where the dealer could find it. Also dont forget the harness plug behind the dash. I would do all this on the lake where I could keep testing.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:39pm
Ok, thanks. I will give that a try. The harness plugs, are those the ones on top of the engine?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Jeff.hancock Jeff.hancock wrote:

My dealer in Atlanta charged me $200 and couldn't find anything. They say they hooked up diagnostic but I question if they know what they are doing.   Looks like I am going to have to figure this out!    Anyone know a good service outfit in the Atlanta / lake Lanier area?   Or have any idea what my problem is?!

Jeff, you didn't take it to Marine Max did you? Haven't heard too many good things about them so I hate to hear that $200 got you no where.. Nautiquehunter is in Flowery Branch and tinkers with inboards a little bit so maybe he can give you a hand. Unfortunately, he is in Illinois for a while.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 1:40pm
Believe your boat is throttle by wire, so electrical connections are a good place to start as suggested, include checking any/all connections at the throttle/throttle body.

Is your throttle position changing when hitting waves? Are you certain the boat is in gear but not spinning the shaft/prop? Have you done testing with motor hatch open with someone watching motor/trans/shaft?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 2:51pm
Yes, Marine Max.   Will keep Nautique Hunter in mind. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 3:00pm
Throttle is not moving out of position when power loss occurs. It is throttle by wire.   Will check those connections. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 11:07pm
Turned out to be a corroded main disconnect switch (toggle switch near throttle lever and ballast gauges.   Cleaned it up and all is good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic