Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GT-40 Hard starting after sitting a few minutes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Hard starting after sitting a few minutes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Hard starting after sitting a few minutes
    Posted: September-12-2013 at 1:19pm
i'm having a little bit of hard starting issue with a '99 SAN with GT-40 engine. the boat fires up instantly when cold, just like it always has. this summer i've had some hard starting (cranking 4-5 seconds) after the boat has been sitting 10+ minutes. if i shut it down and immediately restart like with in a minute, it does so just fine.

i've changed the FCC filter and hose and did a full tune-up this spring (cap & rotor, plugs, wires). i also replaced both relays. i'm going to pull the anti-siphon valve tonight and clean it. could this be sticking open, draining the fcc causing it to turn over that long? it would seem to me there would still be fuel in between the fcc and injectors to be able to start on? plus doesn't make sense that it starts perfectly when cold. i also was thinking maybe bad coil when hot? that also doesn't add up that it would start immediately after shutting down just fine.

if cleaning the AS valve doesn't work, i'll go buy a fuel pressure gauge and make sure it's making enough pressure. anything else i need to try?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 1:23pm
I would suggest ASV as maintenance as you have suggested, but go buy that fuel pressure guage anyway.   4-5 seconds of cranking doesn't sound too bad to me....

jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 2:37pm
it's not that bad, and has not left me stranded, but it is fuel injected and the problem has just surfaced recently. it has just always started effortlessly and am thinking something is close to failing and would like to nip it in the bud before that time comes.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 4:43pm
There's the possibility fuel could be leaking from the injectors into the manifold.

Are you getting any extra smoke when it finally does start up?
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 5:57pm
i never even though of that. i don't even remember if the GT-40 has fuel rails, but would pulling the injectors and cycle the ignition on diagnose that problem? stick a piece of cardboard under them to see if they are leaking?
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 12:09pm
quick question. i read in the GT-40 manual the pressure at the rail should be 31 lbs. +/- 3 lbs. do i need to initially crank the motor to build this pressure from cold or should the rail always stay pressurized?

If it is not pressurized, how long should it hold that pressure? If it does not hold, it could only be leaky injectors or bad fuel pressure regulator right?

there may be a faint smell of gas in the oil and i think Brian may have hit the nail on the head. it doesn't look thin to me but, not 100% sure.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 1:32pm
You shouldn't need to crank since the pumps are electric. But, you will need to turn on the ignition to build initial pressure.

If you can update the subject to this thread, add "GT-40" to it. Then hopefully some more of the real GT-40'gurus will pick up it and chime in as well.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 9:28pm
Josh if you look towards the bottom of the first page of threads in the Engine forum you will see another GT40 not starting thread.

Here is a insert from it discussing fuel pressure (injector) leakdown testing.

"Just to confirm, when it will not start you have approx. 40psi fuel pressure and the pumps are performing their prime cycle. The manual states the fuel rail should maintain within 3 psi of the approx 40psi for 3 minutes. I would jumper the STO and run the pumps for 30 secs to get your initial 40 psi for this leakdown test."
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic