NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Pro-Boss GT40 MP EFI - Rusty Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM Pro-Boss GT40 MP EFI - Rusty Distributor
    Posted: September-15-2013 at 7:18pm
Hello guys,

So following the tuning up of my engine(PCM Pro-Boss GT-40 EFI from a '95 Ski Nautique) were I replaced spark plugs, s.p. wires, distributor cap and rotor (see this topic here), when I removed the distributor cap, this is what I found:

Can I have your thoughts on this? Is this a problem? What do you recommend? Should I start thinking on a new distributor?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 9:40pm
If it ain't broke don't fix it, same with the exhaust manifolds.
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 6:43am
Does that mean that I shouldn't try to clean it either? I was a little surprised to see rust inside the distributor.
Ski Nautique 196 OB (1995)
PCM Pro-Boss GT-40 Multiport EFI 5.8L 310hp
750 hours
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 8:59pm
I would take it apart & clean out the crud. It would be best to get information on gap adjustments before you take it apart. Maybe in a PCM manual somewhere.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 3:19am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I would take it apart & clean out the crud. It would be best to get information on gap adjustments before you take it apart. Maybe in a PCM manual somewhere.

Hmmm, that sounds scary It seems the type of thing I will not be able to perform by myself... I'll try to do some research on that before I move on. I don't recall the Service Manual having that information. Do you have any idea of what might be the consequences of leave it like that?

Hollywood motto "If it ain't broke don't fix it" may prove wise on this.

750 hours
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 6:09am
Definitely do the manifolds before this, they can actually do engine damage if leaking significantly.

I just opened up (for the very first time) a distributor from 1998. It looked like yours and the rotor was also rusted on. It finally came off in 3 pieces.
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Definitely do the manifolds before this, they can actually do engine damage if leaking significantly.

I just opened up (for the very first time) a distributor from 1998. It looked like yours and the rotor was also rusted on. It finally came off in 3 pieces.

You had to replace it for a new one?

750 hours
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 1:12pm
I was only replacing the cap and rotor. The rotor was rusted on and it broke apart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic