Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat leaning to the right

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
x_lejeune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x_lejeune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat leaning to the right
    Posted: April-27-2004 at 3:57pm
Hello,

I have a skiboat Correctcraft from 1976 with a Ford engine 5,8 liter of 280 HP.
When we cruise over 15 knots the boat start to lean on the right side and around 30 knots it is leaning quite strongly, even a little of water is spraying inside.
What can I do?

I also noticed that the strut holding the shaft is inclined 10-15° to the right so the propeller is not in line with the rudder and with the centerline of the boat
The rudder is 25 mm on the right from the center of the boat and of the rudder axle.
Is this normal? Does it have an influence on the previous problem?

Thanks
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2004 at 6:23pm
Got to be a combination of the prop, strut and rudder being out of alignment.

It sounds as if there was some kind of very hard physical contact needed to shove everything to the right as you describe. Bending a rudder post isn't something that happens very easily. Are there stress cracks where the shaft strut fastens to the keel? Is the boat new to you? did you just buy the boat and not notice the alignment problem? Did you lend the boat to someone who may not have told you about ALL their experiences? Has everything been out of whack for a while and the problem just started?

Even if these issues are not the cause of your progressive list, I would think you are getting a tremendous amount of vibration.

Best advise I've got is to get it fixed, it sure can't hurt to get everything back where they belong!
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2004 at 10:51pm
Wow. I'm with yellowdog and his assessments on this one. I'd have it looked at. All of those parts are readily available. As for the leaning, does the boat still have a reverse rotation engine or has it by chance been converted to a lefty/automotive rotation? I had a Mustang a number of years that someone had switched the rotation on and it listed to starboard significantly at speed. Changed the engine back and it was fine.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

x_lejeune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x_lejeune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 10:07am
First, we bought the boat like it was and started to fix things after one another.
We start with the engine and made it run and next week I tried the boat on the water and noticed the problem.

Then sorry when I wrote the rudder is 25 mm on the right I meant the propeller (My english is not perfect). The rudder is well in line.
The propeller is 25 mm on the right from the center of the boat and from the rudder axle.
There aren't any visible crack and the propeller and the shaft look in line with each other but not with the center line of the boat.

There isn't any vibrations and the ride is pretty smooth apart from the leaning.

I know that the previous owner had to change the engine once because he had forgotten the boat outside during the winter.
The propeller looking from the back turns counterclockwise. This means that the countertorque leans the boat to the right, is it correct?

Thanks for your answer
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 5:35pm
you have a lefty prop which is incorrect.

the strut may be bent or the mounting holes in the hull may have been moved/modified to compensate for a regular rotation motor.

the soulution depends on how deep your pockets are.

a. weight the boat.
b. move the helm to the port side.
c. convert back to reverse rotation.
roberts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 5:45pm
i have noticed the same thing happening to me when i take my 75 martinique out.
i noticed if i am by myself an seating in the right driver seat it will lean to the right, but when i set in the middle of the boat, it will level out.
i believe the correctcraft models we have are not very wide so there isnt alot of stability when the the boat only has one occupant.
i had six of my buddies in it the other day an the weight was distributed evenly an there was no leaning. o also if there is a problem with the rudder not being lined up or offset the boat will be in a turn. do you notice you are turning while trying to maintain a straight line?
a reverse rotation motor will make the boat rise on the right side when under a load, where as a standard rotation motor will work like a rear wheel drive car an lift the left when under a load.
you can determine what rotation you have by standing in front of the motor looking towards the back of the boat an watch the crank pulley. if the crank pulley is turning clockwise you have a standard rotation motor an vise versa.
never again volunteer yourself
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2004 at 12:09pm
These boats were designed and tested for the specific engine rotation and propeller, strut,rudder dimensions and distance from one another.You can't deviate from these critical factors.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic