Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Morse knob

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morse knob
    Posted: March-27-2006 at 8:47pm
How do you get the shift knob off a morse shifter ? I tried to unscrew , but I don't want to break it off . I hope the previos owner didn't glue it on. I might have to saw off the top to break it easy. Any tips ? Thanks. Dan
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2006 at 5:37am
On my '79 it just screws off.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2006 at 7:59am
They all screw off. Some may have a set screw.
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2006 at 3:22pm
I replaced mine not too long ago. It was really rusted in place, no set screw though. I used a pipe wrench on the old wood knob while bracing the metal shaft so as not to damage it.

As I applied force the wood knob from the threaded portion. once that was gone I removed the threaded portion with vice grips and put the new knob on. Not pretty but it worked.

You might be able to do it with just the vice grips on the metal base of the knob. Maybe giving it a squirt of WD-40 a few hours before hand would'nt hurt?

Tim
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2006 at 3:39pm
Are you replacing the knob with a wood one? I have only been able to find a plastic replacement, anyone have a line on these? I am actually looking to replace the whole lever as the chrome is pitted but want a wood knob. Thanks
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2006 at 5:59pm
skidim.com
shawbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 12:53pm
I spoke to skidim as mine is also corroded into place and we haven't managed to get it loose. They sugested that I cut it off with a drimel tool. I asked them about getting a whole new arm but they only sell the whole mechanism. they do sell a very nice mahogany knob tho.(got one just trying to get the old one off!:))
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 2:08pm
This is Randy in Ohios specialty, im suprised he missed it
"the things you own will start to own you"
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 3:38pm
Dan,

I had a hard time removing my knob too (I almost said "I had a hard time getting my knob off", but we all know where that will lead...)

I was able to remove it using a small rubber strap wrench.

Take a look at my thread from when I finished my knob: Randy's Knob
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 5:12pm
I made these for my dad last Christmas; bocote on the left and cocobolo on the right. If I knew where to find the threaded inserts...

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 6:24pm
Greg, You do some very nice turnings. I do hope you used a dust make for the Cocobolo. It is a real bad irritant on the lungs.

Here's some inserts:
wood workers supply-inserts-brass

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 9:43pm
Thanks Pete, and that's a good link. The solid brass epoxied in would be a good deal. It was just an idea but now will have to be a material decision...I'll be thinking about that all winter?!!? LOL

Padauk to me is much worse to breathe! ...but looks great when aged.

side note: no money involved, but I'm in your camp on the C K thing!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 9:42am
Greg, It's been a few years since I was into the projects with the exotics. It's white Oak and Mahoganies now! If I remember, doesn't the Padauk turn a real deep purple color? I turned a couple of serving plates out of it and gave them as Christmas presents. Also a couple out of Brazilian Rosewood when you could still get it!

Those inserts don't require any adhesive but I'm with you, I'd probably put some epoxy in there too. The last time I used them was for the adjustment of a router fence in the table board of my unisaw extension. I did glue them in!!

With the C-K thing, it must have been Eric's heritage that got the letters mixed up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 10:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

With the C-K thing, it must have been Eric's heritage that got the letters mixed up!!

LOL!!!

Padauk sure doesn't stay orange; I wish it would sometimes, though it turns to a great 'old rugged cross' look for that application.
There are still several kinds of rosewood out there, but they are pricey. I wasn't kidding about me thinking all winter about my species choice for the shifter. I see tulipwood on a red and white classic(there's another nice 1 on craigs list in walpole?), and maybe wenge on the bfn...wenge has a cool grain pattern when turned round. We'll see.

And that's a good idea for micro adjustments as well!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 11:07am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

And that's a good idea for micro adjustments as well!

The inserts are for the coarse adjustment. The Frued fence I picked was because it has the micrometer adjustment on both fences. Very HD cast aluminum. Forget the fence! It comes with some junk MDF. I replaced it with some nice T slotted aluminum. Great for finger boards.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 12:20pm

(there's another nice 1 on craigs list in walpole)

Nice catch. Its only about 40 min away from me- let me know if you want me to check it out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

(there's another nice 1 on craigs list in walpole)

Nice catch. Its only about 40 min away from me- let me know if you want me to check it out.

Thanks TRB(Tim?), From what I can see in the pics it's a complete project and and in pretty good condition. I wouldn't be surprised if it was drivable now.
Half of me is already on my way to get it, but I still don't have a good place for it... and I have a bfn all over as it is!

It looks like it's been reduced by $300 too!
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 1:34pm

Half of me is already on my way to get it, but I still don't have a good place for it... and I have a bfn all over as it is!

Thats OK- dont let logic stop you from grabbing it (it hasnt stopped me yet)!

It does look to be complete based on the pics and description- it may very well run. If you want some first hand input, shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Take a look at my thread from when I finished my knob: Randy's Knob

Randy- Meant to say thanks. I followed your process and refinished the throttle knob for my 86. It looks great! I had some poly laying around, so I put a couple coats of that on instead of the spray laquer.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 1:27am
Randy's knob was one of my favorite posts of all time here. Just seeing this post made me start laughing and hoping Randy got on here with his most excellent advice.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 1:59am
Brad

If I was to do it again I probably would have used a polyurethane. The lacquer I used was for indoor use I realized after reading the can after twelve coats. It seems to have held up good though and it looks like wood covered in glass!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 2:08am
Dude,

Thanks for the compliment, but I am usually here looking for advice not giving it.

I enjoy chiming in on something I have had experience with or sharing something I have found useful myself, but I take more knowledge than I give.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Brad

If I was to do it again I probably would have used a polyurethane. The lacquer I used was for indoor use I realized after reading the can after twelve coats. It seems to have held up good though and it looks like wood covered in glass!

The lacquer will probably hold up outside but it doesn't have any UV protection in it to keep the color of the wood from lightening up. There are polyurethanes for exterior. The only difference from the interior versions is the addition of the UV protection. When using a poly (or a spar varnish) with the UV, it will darken the wood slightly because the UV ingredient has a orange tint. If you have ever noticed what is reffered to as a "blond" section of a wood boat deck, it is really a orangish color. It is created by bleaching the mahogany to a "water white" and then varnishing. The orange in the varnish colors the wood - no stain is used.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 10:23am
hopefully you guys dont say oh no not again, but i was on a 72ft Monterey built specially for an electrical contractor from NYC, he was loaded... the interior wood was all imported from Japan and was called Japanese ash and it had the wildest grain ive ever seen and i guess was very expensive, the carpet on the boat had actual Gold laced thru it and the capatain told me the carpet was right at 40k.
the owner was one of the nicest guys ive ever met, you could tell he earned every nickel he had and it wasnt old money, i went home with a 500.00 tip not that it matters, it is an example of a working man appreciating another working man the only difference is he had all the coin
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic