Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing Chain

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing Chain
    Posted: April-19-2014 at 4:32pm
I am fixing to go ahead and swap out my timing chain and gears, tried to do some searching on it but have not found very much talk about it. Which set would you guys recommend ordering? It is for my 89' 2001
Thanks!
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 5:13pm
Are they damaged or is the chain stretched? If it's a RH rotation motor, there may not be a chain.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:04pm
Not sure why it would matter which direction it spins on a Ford?   Cam turns the same direction as the crank, the difference is the cam lobes and the teeth on the cam that drive the dizzy so the oil pump will spin the correct way. Much simpler solution than the a with a Chevy, only 2 parts and the starter are different.
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:31pm
It has some slop in it and I just don't want it to let go
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Not sure why it would matter which direction it spins on a Ford?   Cam turns the same direction as the crank, the difference is the cam lobes and the teeth on the cam that drive the dizzy so the oil pump will spin the correct way. Much simpler solution than the a with a Chevy, only 2 parts and the starter are different.

Not exactly, R/R chevy 2 gears no chain to stretch same distributor
gear std or rr. Both oil pumps drive off the end of the distributor shaft. Cam lobes? The cam is ground for reverse rotation.

89 - Ski Nautique it's a std rotation 351w but either way if its a Ford use a double roller timing set(chain & gears).Lots of good brands. I put a Crain in mine but Cloise, TRW, Jegs there all good.      
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 9:36pm
Cloyes is the name manufacturer for Timing Sets. Buy a premium double roller set and you can't go wrong. If you buy on price even with Cloyes you will get a import Chinese set so buy a premium set and you will never need another. Many Vendors from Napa to local machine shops can get you this set quickly if it is not on the shelf already.
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 12:04am
Cloyes is who I was planning on going with, is there any certain one that I need to be sure to grab? Looks like there are several 351 kits with different splines and what not? And I see the gasket on Skidim, anything else that I will need for the job? I believe that the cover is setup a little differently then a regular 351 cover as well? I can get by with mine as it seems like it maybe tricky to find or am I completely wrong?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 12:14am
Are you talking about the timing cover? They are marine specific, the auto ones don't have any provisions for the raw water pump. If you need one there is one on EBay right now.
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 12:32am
Yes the timing cover
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 2:13am
Blocks newer than 1980 used the Cloyes C3057K Stock timing kit.

The Cloyes original True Roller set for this engine is a 9-3138

They also offer a Heavy Duty version of the stock set C3057X this is a double roller also.

A true roller is a higher standard, better fit and more accurate timing than a factory type chain. But they cost more and factory type chains do work.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 2:17am
Note: The Sealed Power timing sets are made by Cloyes so they are usually good quality. I would just avoid the lowest price offering from any of the manufacturers. You usually get what you pay for.
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2014 at 10:36am
Ordered the true roller this morning. Now it's onto the search for gaskets, anybody know of anywhere that will have that set?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 4:59am
Fel Pro offers marine sets, they can be ordered from most any parts store and picked up same or next day.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 10:02am
go with felpro I used a cheap one that came with my timing set and it leaked so I had to take the front of the water pump off and replace with felpro.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic