NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Borg Warner Tranny Issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80tiquefan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80tiquefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg Warner Tranny Issues
    Posted: May-28-2014 at 12:56am
Hey CCF, looking for a little direction. I pulled out my 80 Nautique over the weekend and discovered that my shifter lever was locked up. Wouldn't go in forward or reverse. Tracked it back to the tranny and discovered that the lever that the linkage was attached to would not budge. This was the first the boat has been out of the shed since last season. Any help/advice on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.
Jason Murray

1980SkiNautique
1993 Sport Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 11:05am
Did you disconnect the linkage from the tranny and try to physically move the lever?
If so there is a ball and detent on the lever that can get corroded over time if you don't show it a little love. Get some Break Free, Liquid Wrench or similar (a home brew 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF is even better) and let it soak for a while on and behind the linkage and try to break it loose. Then you should probably take the linkage off and treat with some grease on the shaft and shift detent. White Lithium works nice.
If it shifts when you disconnect the cable from it, the cable is toast. Get a new one.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
80tiquefan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80tiquefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2014 at 2:15am
I did remove the cable and it moved freely. Tried to move the tranny lever by hand and it wouldn't budge. I'll try some penetrating oil and see what happens. Thanks
Jason Murray

1980SkiNautique
1993 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic