Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Compleatly dead but batery charged

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rockymtnsalom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compleatly dead but batery charged
    Posted: May-29-2014 at 5:28am
I've got an engine issues that that has completely stumped me so I thought I would look to the experts. I took my 1970 Ski Nautique out tonight and the engine cranked right up first try on the ramp. I ran to the other side of the lake and turned it off and it wouldn’t start. the first time I tried it, it was close to turning over and if I had given it some throttle I think it would have gone but the second time I went to try and start it, it was completely dead. Everything was dead, all the electrical stuff, the horn, blower, all the lights. It was as if the battery was disconnected. I checked the battery connections and they were all tight and the battery had a full charge on it before I left so it was not a dead battery. The electrical power came back on later but the engine still would not even turn over. Eventually it turned over and started right up when it did. When I got back to the ramp I turned it off and then tried to turn it back on just to see if it did it again and it was completely dead again but then on the 5th or 6th try it started right up. Do you have any idea what might be causing it to go completely dead? because I’m at a loss. I’ve replaced the alternator, and the starter recently and I’m about to replace the Voltage regulator. I really appreciate the help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 5:33am
I forgot to put it in the other post but the engine is a 1974 Chrysler 318, thanks again for all the help!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 6:30am
Clean and check your battery posts and cable terminals. Check voltage at the battery and what you get to the starter. Is the start relay energizing? If not, check the voltage going to it via the ignition switch and the NSS.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 8:42am
Check volts out of 50A cicuit breaker when it is acting up, also out of key switch.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 2:40pm
Finally had some time to work on the boat yesterday, turns out I had a bad voltage regulator and the batery wasn't getting a charge.   Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 3:14pm
Your symptoms don't substantiate a bad voltage regulator but good luck. Maybe they cleaned the bad connection(s) in the process.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 3:54am
Did this fix the problem?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic