Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!! Broken bolt in head - Exhaust manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! Broken bolt in head - Exhaust manifold
    Posted: June-11-2014 at 1:50am
7 out of 8 ain't bad unless number 8 is broken off in the head and then the easy out breaks off in the bolt... Imagine a grown man crying now. I have gone through all the bits at home depot, lowes, Fastenal & Northern Tool. I have a divet in the bolt and all the bits I buy just spin with NO bite. I got a left handed bit to bite for about 2 turns and then nothing. Please help!! Is there a magic drill bit somewhere? I'm drilling slow with lubrication. Been two weeks of off and on trying as I watch June coast on by...
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 2:23am
7 will get the job done - if you cant live with that dremel in a slot and use an impact driven screwdriver. But seriously 7 will work...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 8:24am
Yeah, what joe said. Some aftermarket manifolds only use 1 bolt per cylinder.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 9:05am
Got a welder? weld a nut on it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 11:05am
Another ditto what Joe sez
Next time skip the easy out, and go straight to the left handed bits.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Got a welder? weld a nut on it.

I've had success with this. Plus getting the head cherry red around the bolt with an acetylene torch before removing the bolt. Its possible that an oxy-MAPP torch might work too.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 3:34pm
Ive got a welder, but I am only a hack... I would weld in this scenario only as a last resort, and then only over the winter after I had skied all year on 7 bolts...    If it is a pcm engine then it was likely a hardened bolt and to get something welded to it with a chance of success would require enough heat that I might just weld that stud to the head then I would be cutting it off of a surface I want to be as flat as possible so I can seal against it with only one bolt.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 3:52pm
Another option is remove the head and find a shop that has an EDM extractor. They work wonders but not a lot of shops have them. Definitely need to call around first.
Unfortunately, removing/replacing the head is much more time consuming.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 9:43pm
You have work hardened an already hard bolt from bits skidding on the metal and not cutting. Carbide drill bit but be careful as they are brittle and with a hand drill you need to be very steady. If that and a easy out doesn't work then I agree with Eddie's suggestion of using an EDM. A very aggressive cutting angle on the bit is needed since with a hand drill you can't get much pressure on the bit. The only bad side to this is having to sharpen it frequently. Do you have a bench grinder? Also did you start off with a small diameter pilot hole. I can't tell from the picture. With a hand drill and the lack of pressure you can apply, with starting with a small diameter bit, you can apply more pressure at the bit. Then increase the bit size a couple times. What type of extractor are you using? I hate the tapered spiral ones. They will actually expand the bolt tightening it in it's threads. I like the spline type.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic