Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351-W carb?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by nautique74 nautique74 wrote:

...it turns over but takes several minutes to even start hitting. It just turns over and over for several minutes then Pup...pup-up...pup....pup-pup-pup..pup-up...pup-pup-pup..boom-boom-boom-varoom with a gasy smell and smoke out the exhaust.

Ok, now that is a PERFECT description of what I experienced last week on the Rochester carb on my pontoon's Mercruiser 140. I mean, exactly that pup...pup-pup... and so forth. However, oddly, in my case it was one morning with the engine cold. After messing with it for a long time (more than an hour), I came to believe that I had a combination of problems. I think I had some dirt in the carb, so I blasted it with more carb cleaner than I care to admit. Then I held the choke plate (which was closed too tightly) wide open with a screwdriver while I cranked it to pull the cleaner through. It started pup...pupping more and more then finally sort of pupped into running and then ran, with that gassy smell and the exhaust smoke, just as you describe. I ran it in neutral a little high on the rpm's, like around 2000 to 2200, for about 20 minutes; don't usually like to do that with no load. Anyway, it smoothed right out and never had the exact problem again... but... later in the trip the engine wasn't happy starting when warm. I've worked on this engine a lot over the years, and it generally starts as soon as I turn the key. But I had to grind for maybe 4 or 5 seconds when warm. I am convinced now that my problem is twofold -- the battery in that boat is 7 years old and isn't throwing her over as fast as it should, so I'll be picking up a new one. And I'm convinced the choke is misbehaving. I converted the Merc 140 over to electric choke about two years ago, so I am going to run through the choke calibration procedure when I find the time. For one thing, I noticed the choke plate is sitting fully closed when it should be cracked open a bit. Anyway, I know this isn't the same carb or engine, but the principles are pretty much universal and your pup...pup description matched exactly, so maybe this will be of some help to you. I hope you find it sooner rather than later!
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 8:03pm
I too would recommend that holley book, not an expensive buy and it gives a good overview of the mechanics
'82 Ski Tique
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 8:43pm
So I have had the same problem. I just had mine rebuilt the problem with mine was the secondary butterflies were not opening when the engine was at operating temperature to compensate for the choke being open. I also found the rear floats were set high causing gas to drip out of the front jets. The other issue found was a bit of dirt in one of the jets. The boat has NEVER started so AWESOME. Sounds like a new boat starting. Hope this helps.
nautique74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Just some confirmation needed first. The boat starts OK cold and then when you shut it down after warming up good, I assume that it cranks over but doesn't start very easily? Then maybe starts right up after sitting for a period time? Your terminology is confusing.

Correct, but it doesn't matter if it has been sitting a period of time, unless it's the next day.

I checked for the fuel drip this past weekend. When I take the flame arrestor off the choke valve is blocking my view and when I push it open, gas will squirt in the carb but I don't see any dripping after that...

Setting Chris, Tom or Eddie (or any carb aficionado) up for the Alley-oop

You did test this warm correct? If so, your choke should be open. If the choke wasn't open, it's either misadjusted or it's just plain worn out and needs replacing. If it's not opening, it will start like crap when it's warm.
When cold, it should have a 1/16'-1/8" opening gap. Just turn the key on (don't even start the engine) and you should be able to watch the choke open. It'll take about 45 seconds to a minute. It needs to open up completely so it's straight up and down.
If it isn't doing that, then you should first verify that you have 12 volts to the choke coil (the round black thing on the side of the of the carb) when you turn the key on. If you do then the choke coil needs to be replaced.

Secondly, I have no idea how just pushing the choke plate open would give you a shot of fuel. Or did you manually open the choke plate and then operate the throttle? I'm confused on this.

The engine was cold had not ran it in a week.
Started right up when I put it in the water.
Running great, no skips or sputters.
Ran about 45-minutes.
Engine was hot, shut it down.
I took the breather off.
The choke is almost closed (about a 1/16" open).
I just pushed the choke valve open with my finger.
A little gas squirt, didn't touch throttle.
Had to hold the choke open with my finger.
No more gas, but when I remove my finger choke valve closes.

I'm thinking choke problem.
1974 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 6:09pm
yep

start with the choke

see if it gets power.

Then see if its grounded

Then see if it has continuity

If cant be corrected, loosten and rotate the choke so its open til you get a replacement.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

yep

If cant be corrected, loosten and rotate the choke so its open til you get a replacement.

Definitely the choke.

Be warned if you do rotate the choke as Tom instructs, it will make your cold starting horrendous unless you manually hold the choke closed.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 6:33pm
Meh, my nicest starting boats (warm and cold) have the choke bypassed entirely.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 2:35am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Meh, my nicest starting boats (warm and cold) have the choke bypassed entirely.

I adjusted the electric choke on our '84 SN2001 351W Holley 4160 yesterday--I disabled it. After reading your post, we're going to try going without it. Over the years the choke on my pontoon boat's Mercruiser 140 gave me nothing but trouble, so I'm going to disable that one, too. We'll see how it goes. We don't use the boats for ice fishing during the winter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 11:27pm
1984 SN2001
351W

Ok, still having trouble with this. Last September the threads that connect the fuel line to the front bowl were leaking and found to be stripped. Found a used bowl with floats and installed it. The float adjustment looked the same as the old bowl but that was just a visual check.

After that, the engine won't fire when cold unless we hold the choke plate open. Starts great when warm. Tried disabling the choke but experienced a hesitation on hole shot acceleration, never had that before. Doesn't sound like a choke issue.

Now have set choke to 1/16" gap when cold. Still have to hold choke plate open and sometimes use starting fluid when cold. Electric choke opens normally. Not sure if we still have the hesitation; finally getting ready for summer.

Thoughts?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Ok, still having trouble with this. Last September the threads that connect the fuel line to the front bowl were leaking and found to be stripped. Found a used bowl with floats and installed it.

Steve,
Still leaking at the fuel line fitting into the carb?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 11:41pm
No more fuel leak. The fuel line wasn't in the best of shape after trying to get the leak to stop last Labor Day weekend. I replaced it with USCG approved soft line with an inline fuel filter, no more filter at the carb inlet.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 12:56am
When you put your new bowl on, did you properly adjust the accelerator pump linkage? If you have any play there, allowing the throttles to open (even a tiny bit) without the acc pump pumping, you could get a hesitation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 2:13am
No, I didn't know about that. I watched the video tonight from another post. That was new to me. I think I have all the manuals, is that covered in the manual? Not home to look thru it right now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 2:11pm
I'm going to read up on this and try to adjust it today. Question: could my not adjusting the accelerator pump linkage cause both problems... the poor cold starting (maybe not getting accelerator pump shot when pumping throttle before starting) and the hole shot hesitation? I'm thinking that might make sense.

Is there anything else I should've done when replacing the bowl? I used a new gasket.

Thanks.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 12:02pm
Adjusting the accelerator pump linkage is super easy. There's a nut and bolt with a spring, and you just unscrew it a little, and that opens it up a little and takes out any slack. The linkage is kind of line a see saw, with one side riding the acc pump cam, any the other side actuating the lever. The lever side has the adjustment. Holley has some great videos on YouTube.

The cold starting... not sure on that though, the acc pump lonkage would have to be waaay loose, but anything is possible.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 12:04pm
The only thing is you might need two of the same size combination wrench, which not everyone has laying around. For mine it was two 3/8th.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 5:26pm
Good video from Holley on accelerator pump adjustment:

Video Link

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 5:00am
Great advice, guys. I studied the videos and we went out to work on it. Pump the throttle--no squirt. Took a close look at the accelerator pump linkage and the threaded end of the bolt was hung up on the barrel housing for the fuel inlet. When my son gave it a tug with his fingers, it released. I shortened the bolt a bit to avoid it hanging up and we adjusted closed throttle and checked WOT 015 feeler gauge per the videos. Cold start now is great. Doesn't seem to hesitate any more but we'll see on the water. Pics below are before and after, posting from my phone so hope it works. Thanks for all the great input!

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 10:11am
Looks like you found the problem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 1:04am
Cold starts great, but still hesitating on the water. I took off about half of the threads showing in the first pic, and as you can see in the second pic, the length of bolt below the linkage is quite a bit longer at this point. So if we tighten the nut to shorten the bolt, as long as we don't get loose play,will that make the accel pump arm move sooner? When watching the linkage, I can see the throttle linkage move just a little before the accel arm begins to move. Plan to adjust this tomorrow, Wednesday.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 2:24am
Might be time for an accelerator pump rebuild. You may also try a different size squirter / nozzle. Try going larger by 3 or 4 sizes. If you have a 31, try the 35. That can also solve the bog or hesitation.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 2:26am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

.....I can see the throttle linkage move just a little before the accel arm begins to move. Plan to adjust this tomorrow, Wednesday.

That is likely the problem.

Also though, if you have the screw opened up so much, that the actual pump lever is never able to fully return to the full start position, you're not going to get a proper pump shot either.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 1:23pm

...if you have the screw opened up so much, that the actual pump lever is never able to fully return to the full start position, you're not going to get a proper pump shot either.

I think that was it, Brian. Yesterday I had the boy tighten down the nut (shorten the bolt) until the pump lever arm lost contact under the fuel bowl. Then I had him use his fingers to actuate the pump arm, to feel where the resistance of the pump just started--and then to set the bolt head to exactly that amount of stroke, as a starting point. All of this was with the engine warmed to operating temp. Then he took it out on the water and tested it. After each poor result, I had him loosen the nut (lengthen the bolt) a thread at a time. He's got it dialed in pretty darn good now--the hesitation is gone. I was going to have him do the final adjustment a quarter turn at a time, but he thinks he's right on the sweet spot now. I'm not sure how "wide" the sweet spot is in terms of turns of the nut.

Thanks to all you guys! You saved a lot of frustration on our vacation. :)

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic