Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition stuck in the "on" position

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lineskier22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineskier22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition stuck in the "on" position
    Posted: June-29-2014 at 6:34pm
1987 ski nautique 351

After launching the boat today and docked it for a few hours, I went to start it, but after one or two attempts the starter continued to try to start the boat even though the key and ignition was "off". It was only like this for less than a minute because I had a wrench handy to disconnect the battery. My only guess is that the wires in the ignition are welded together.

I read a little bit ago the battery should not be a deep cycle, but that's what it is. Battery is brand new.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2014 at 6:39pm
Tap the starter with a hammer. Solenoid probably stuck.
Tim D
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2014 at 6:49pm
Tim is right happened to me got it rebuilt 40$ later all good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineskier22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2014 at 6:50pm
I will give that a try and get back to you. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2014 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by lineskier22 lineskier22 wrote:

1987 ski nautique 351

After launching the boat today and docked it for a few hours, I went to start it, but after one or two attempts the starter continued to try to start the boat even though the key and ignition was "off". It was only like this for less than a minute because I had a wrench handy to disconnect the battery. My only guess is that the wires in the ignition are welded together.

I read a little bit ago the battery should not be a deep cycle, but that's what it is. Battery is brand new.

Nick,
You will need to get the VOM out and check whats going on but, it sure sounds like your starter relay has welded the the contacts together. This is caused by a weak battery or a deep cycle battery Hopefully you have a starting battery and not a deep. I'd say it's not the ignition switch. Get the VOM out!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineskier22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2014 at 8:26pm
We tapped the starter and when we connected the negative back to the battery we turned the key and had the ignition button on and that put it back to normal. (before it would try starting by just touching the neg terminal.)

I'm unaware of what a VOM is.

We did get it started with a few attempts and it ran great like usual. Toward the end of the ride I started off like I was pulling a slalom skier and it seemed to miss, but was very weak. I don't know if it was a miss or not. As I was coming into dock after that, the boat stalled. Haven't tried starting it again.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by lineskier22 lineskier22 wrote:

I'm unaware of what a VOM is.

VOLT OHM METER!!! You need a MECHANIC TO WORK ON YOUR BOAT!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 12:59am
oh no.
Problem your describing usually comes from a bad connection(dirty). or weak battery.
I am pretty sure I asked Pete the same question a few years ago and got the same response. But with the help of this web site, have managed to keep the old girl running. a complete rebuild of motor and a stringer job stringer.

And I am sure I am not the only one that got a good chuckle. Thanks for revving up the local electrical union,
Mike
Lakedog55
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 10:30am
You're best best is to get a proper starting battery in there, Group 65 is usually the right fit.

It may be necessary to replace the starter solenoid also at this point. Make sure you get a proper PCM one from N3, Skidim, Nautiqueparts etc. There are other solenoids, that look similar but are meant to be wired differently. If you pick up the wrong type from an autoparts store, you can wind up with a new problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic