NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine caugthing at idle and low speed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakespirit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakespirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine caugthing at idle and low speed
    Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:10pm
Dear all,
I have a wierd issue with my correct craft ski nautique 1990.
It has a PCM FORD engine and a HOLLEY carburator.

When I am in idle speed the engine is caugthing.
Then when I start to put full gaz, the engine caugth and then suddenly power comes correctly. Then when riding at high horse power I o not have any trouble but at low or iddle I have trouble.

Lokks likes similar way as not enough fuel is deliver at idle or low horse power ?

This cause time to time also that when i go from iddle trotle position, to engage positionthat motor stop.

Any idea to help me isolate the problem?

Sory for my english

Hope you could help me

Regards
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 9:07pm
The 1st thing to check is the idle mixture screws - they are on the sides of the carb.

With engine idling in gear, turn each in (CW) (1 at a time) until the engine starts to stall, then back out (CCW) until the engine smooths out. You may have to do this several times to find the optimum settings.

If this doesn't help, then take off flame arrestor while it is idling, & see if there are drops of gas coming out of the booster venturies (it shouldn't do this). You may have a bad float or other problem in the carb bowl.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakespirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 1:51pm
Thanks for your reply will try.
When you said with engine idling in gear, you mean the trotle in midle position ?

For the 2 screws, does they should have simetric turn ?
I have never touch those screw since i get my boat so i do not know the state of those screw, so this the reason why I ask if they should be have same turn position.

If yes what is the process? Screw them all in at one stage ?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 11:26pm
OK, once again, turn each in (CW) (1 at a time) until the engine starts to stall, then back out (CCW) until the engine smooths out.

Usually they work well at 1-1/2 to 2 turns out.

AS TRBenj said in the other thread on this same issue, do an ignition tune up also.

Good luck!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakespirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 7:17am
Hello,
What do you mean by doing an inition tune up?
Could you describe?

Thanks for help
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakespirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 8:03am
Sorry forgot to ask. For adjusting the idle screw does the engine needs to be at certain speed, or I can do such adjustment at the shore?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic