Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracking on bottom of Martinique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keukaman View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keukaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracking on bottom of Martinique
    Posted: May-03-2004 at 6:24am
I've noticed some fine cracking on the bottom of my 87 Martinique running from bow to stern. Has anyone else noticed this on their 80's Correct Craft? If so, what is the cause?

ken@ckbd.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken@ckbd.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2004 at 11:25pm
I've seen this on 60's era CC's. Usually ones that are operated in choppy or rough water and are subjected to alot of hard hull impacts. Where do you get your boat wet?

Other question; is your trailer a CC trailer designed for your boat? I know many people buy generic or non-specific trailers that don't offer the correct support for the type of hull and this can cause stress cracking after awhile.

Typically, those cracks are only in the gelcoat and don't necessarily indicate a structural problem. Without seeing them, it's tough to speculate.

Good luck.
68 Mustang
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 10:54pm
Tomorrow I am picking up my new used 1979 Ski Nautique. It has really small stress cracks going up and down, mostly in the stern but there is one small one in the bow too. It was supposedly something that happened on a lot of older boats but it is nothing more than cosmetic. In order to fix it you have to sand, prime and paint the boat with an epoxy paint.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 11:39pm
speculation. the 68 barracuda had so many on the top,i can't count that high !thousands to repair all of em.not one stress crack in the hull.
i've been told it has to do with the amount of gelcoat sprayed into the mold when they were built.- sprayed the gelcoat a little heavy in some areas = future stress cracks.
some boats cracked in areas and other boats built the same time did not.
kenny g
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 12:59am
OK guys, here goes: first, the hull form is sprayed in an upright mold. The gel coat is resin and color, no fiber. when it is sprayed too heavy, gravity takes hold. Sir Issac Newton found this out centuries ago. The resin goes to the bottom, the waterline, thicker resin takes longer to cure, right? The top mold is reversed, all boats are two piece, the top is sprayed up-side down. Gravity takes hold again, all the resin goes to the bottom of the mold, in this case the closed bow, the gunnels, ect. After time the slow cured gel coat resin cracks.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 11:36am
great explanation polyhead.UNIVERSITY LEVEL !
kenny g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic