Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Graymarine Engine color - 1966 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graymarine Engine color - 1966 Mustang
    Posted: August-04-2014 at 9:41pm
Looking for some input as to what color the engine should be for this time period? I've found a few different colors for this time.

The colors it could have been that I've heard: Green, Red, and Gray.

I bought the green originally because that's what I thought it was. I can't seem to find any green anywhere on it. I paid just a little bit of the trans in the last picture to show the shade. Any input is welcome. Below is a few pictures I took over the weekend.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 9:54pm
For what it's worth John the 4cyl Gray that was in my 64 American Skier was red
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 10:18pm
I would assume it has to be the same engine that they used then. From what I read though, I thought the only ones that were painted red were the fireballs. I did have the green made up thinking that was it, I do think it would look good green. Just would like to find the period correct paint.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 11:14pm
Well I went with the Green. Here are a few pictures of the progress so far. The original color is suppose to be Battle Ship Gray, but when I go through the motor down the road I will probably switch it out. I had the paint, so I went with the Graymarine Green.

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 9:15am
I have seen the green also. Am inclined to use it on our 1950. There are some green residuals on the engine but you have to look to find them. It has been painted grey presently by the PO. All the Fireballs are red.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 10:25am
Most of the Graymarine engines were green, but I guess CC used a red primer and covered them in Gray (Battle Ship Gray). If you need a place to get the paint Graymarine Green, I used the company http://www.apstowerpaint.com. I suggest calling in, I would think 3 cans should do an engine.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 12:27pm
No mine was defiantly red and not a repaint. I cannot recall but I thought those grays were 60 hp and the CC version was 70hp could they have been the Fireball's? Pete should know
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 4:52pm
The CC's were the 70hp, at least that's what it says on my build sheet from Art. For some reason I didn't thing CC ever got the Fireballs though.
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 12:10am
Looks nice in green.
My '56 Graymarine Fireball V-8 in my Essaness Craft woody is red. I believe that is the original color...It looks great as well.
Gray is so depressing, even if original...Good choice on the green.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:48pm
Thank you. Most of the 8's were that I'm aware of. As for the 4, a lot of he said, she said sort of thing But I'm glad I went with green, it should go fairly good against that Jade Green in the boat. I have a video of it running on the stand, I will try to post it tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic