Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Ski Nautique Ignition problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ski-licious73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-licious73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Ski Nautique Ignition problem
    Posted: August-10-2014 at 1:31pm
Hello all, new boater here with limited knowledge. Just got the boat out of storage, put in a new flush pro, hooked up the water and the beast started right up. Second time trying to start, sparks came out the keyed ignition switch and nothing electrical worked after that. Thought I fried the battery because when I hooked up the truck and jumpers, the bilge, running lights, stereo etc would come on. Bought a new starting battery yesterday (845 MCA) thinking it would fix my issue. Went to start it after install and still wont start. I get the audio beep when turning key to run? but then when I turn it to start I get a spark at the positive lead and no start. Trying to describe it as best I can but any ideas? Maybe bad ignition switch due to previous sparks? Boat is in awesome shape otherwise and I want to hear that engine rumble again! That first start has me very motivated. General thanks to all for this and all the other great info I've gotten from this site in the last week.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 2:06pm
Sparks out of the ignition switch? That's no bueno. Something is shorting...find it.
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-licious73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 2:16pm
Agreed. Only got sparks from the ignition switch that one time. Now when I turn the key I get a spark at the positive battery terminal. After that happens no other electrical will work (bilge, stereo lights etc.) but if I disconnect the negative terminal and reconnect, those electrical items will start working again. Really weird.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 4:28pm
Sounds like the cables may be badly corroded. If you post some pictures we might be able to comment more.

If you have a ohm meter, check the resistance of the switch (both on & start positions). It sounds like that is not healthy either. These items are pretty safety related, so replace them if they show any degradation at all.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-licious73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 5:54pm
Had cleaned the terminals and all connectors pretty well even though they didn't appear to be corroded. Just confusing since it started up with no problems initially. Having a marine tech come tomorrow to take a look. Ill post the diagnosis for future reference.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 7:37pm
Chris is correct that you need to Ohm out the actual switch contacts. You should get a near zero Ohm reading. if not, then the switch is bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 11:11pm
Shorted wire in the wet bilge?
My oil pressure gauge went to zero on the lake the other day. Panicked....checked everything and ended up running a bypass wire from the sending unit to the gauge direct and it showed pressure. Now I know my wire all of a sudden went bad. Will run a new one in the next few days.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-licious73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 11:08pm
Yes you were absolutely right. Despite looking fairly clean, once the ends of the cables were cut, new connectors were soldered and reattached to the battery she fired right up. the switch was fine. Have to drain some old nasty fuel out of the tank though. Poured some in a glass jar through the fuel line and looks like chicken soup.   Anyone have an opinion off adding Royal Purple fuel system cleaner compared to Seafoam? got a bottle of both. Next issue, no reverse. Fluid level fine (was low but added half a quart) Thought the tech said something about an "engager valve" ? Once I have reverse she should be a solid vessel. Will post pics soon of this Cyprus Gardens vet. Thinking Thursday will be the first day on the water! Only 550 hours on this gem. Thanks for all the help and responses! Very much appreciated!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 11:17pm
Congratulations on fixing the sparks!

You might want to disconnect the shift cable from the tranny & see if you can get it to engage by manually operating the lever (that isolates out the shifter & cable).

If the tranny is OK, next I would suspect the cable retainer in the shifter; they wear out & break.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski-licious73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 11:22pm
Transmission engages fine in forward and it looks like I am getting equal movement both forwards and backwards with the cable and lever.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 11:27pm
Sounds like time for a rebuild. The tranny is easy to pull out yourself, but then send it to a reputable shop for the rebuild.

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic