Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine starting issues after use

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
klockhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klockhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine starting issues after use
    Posted: August-12-2014 at 2:10pm
Have a 1969 Correctraft Mustang with a Ford 302..I am having issues restarting after use..Normally will take 4 to 5 full throttle applications to start when cold...After running for awhile I'll shut the engine off and then it will not restart..I have changed plugs, wires, rotor, distributer cap and points.....when running it is smooth..but I can't get it restarted after use...Any ideas on what to look for next would be greatly appreciated!!!
Mustang "69"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 3:20pm
You should check and see if your choke is working first. Pull off the spark arrester before you start it for the first time. The choke plate should be almost be closed with about a 1/8" gap. Put the arrester back on and run it until it's warmed up. Look at the choke plate and it should be fully open. If it's not open or it's open when it's cold you need to adjust or replace the heating element. If it's working you may need a carb rebuild.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 3:39pm
I second what Gary says. Had to replace my choke beginning of summer. If that doesn't do it, before tearing down carb check the timing.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 5:23pm
Do you think the coil is getting hot? When it won't start, does it crank slower?
Tim D
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 6:57pm
Flooded or no gas, that's the question. If it won't start after use, try full throttle (in neutral please), let it sit a few minutes after opening throttle before starting, and crank it over. If it sputters, and then starts after cranking for 5 secs, be quick to pull back on the throttle to avoid over revving. It's flooded. If it doesn't start, try spraying a good shot of starter fluid down the carb. If it starts, you had no gas in the fuel bowls. Level too low and boiled off.
Both tests point to the carb float level or needle not seating. Or idle circuit clogged, or, etc. Time for a carb rebuild.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

try spraying a good shot of starter fluid down the carb.

This certainly isn't the greatest suggestion. Starting fluid is basically ether which is a extremely strong solvent. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls. Good way to screw up an engine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

This certainly isn't the greatest suggestion. Starting fluid is basically ether which is a extremely strong solvent. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls. Good way to screw up an engine!!

OMG! Thanks for telling me. It's a good thing gasoline isn't a solvent or all of our engines would be screwed up! Oh wait, the cylinder walls are oiled from under the piston, so we're ok!
tchapin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tchapin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 6:53pm
maybe heat buildup. My exhaust manifold leaks and a lot of heat can builds up under the hood. try popping the hood and getting the heat out and then try starting it again.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 4:45pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

OMG! Thanks for telling me. It's a good thing gasoline isn't a solvent or all of our engines would be screwed up! Oh wait, the cylinder walls are oiled from under the piston, so we're ok!

NG,
I get a hint of sarcasm in your reply. I highly recommend you look at the KB value of ether compared to gasoline.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 5:39pm
If it takes that much throttle to start the boat when cold then the choke must be fully open. If its a bad choke don't they fail closed?
Also if the choke is open that would not impede hot starting.
I would check spark as mentioned. Perhaps fuel delivery as well. Can the fuel siphon out of the carb when sitting hot? Mine does, but I have an inline elec fuel pump, so a few seconds and it back up to pressure...
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic