Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 SANTE 5.7 Died and won't Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nathankrig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 SANTE 5.7 Died and won't Start
    Posted: September-10-2014 at 7:09pm
I have had this boat about a month. I was on an afternoon cruise about 10 minutes in and there started to be a couple of weird electrical concerns. The stereo shut off completely and I had to turn off the boat and start it back up. This happened twice before the boat died and had not ever happened prior to that day. Another strange electrical wonder is the fuel pump breaker has been tripped every time I leave the boat sitting for over 30 minutes for the week prior to the boat dying. The boat ran perfectly until we made it to our cove (100+ feet deep in clean water) I blipped the throttle to move us out more towards the middle and the engine bogged and started running really rough, at time time I was hearing a loud sucking sound coming from the engine. The engine died and now will not restart. It will crank and occasionally backfire but it will not fire and run.

I have checked cap and rotor installation and condition, and verified spark. Verified lanyard placement. Verified proper functionality of all three relays, checked the three fuses for the fuel pumps and all are in good condition. I hear a fuel pump cycle when I enter the key code but I am unsure if it is the low pressure or the FCC high pressure.

There is extremely low pressure at the fuel rail. I would 8lbs or so at most. This led me to believe that the high pressure fuel pump could be the culprit. I pulled the FCC and removed the high pressure pump. After a bench test I found the pump is putting out about 35PSI. Lower than spec but still much higher than what I am seeing at the fuel rail.

I am confused and boat-less for the last few good weeks of the season. Please help!!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 10:04pm
Sounds like a low pressure pump failure.

Both pumps run during the prime cycle (initial key on). Jumper the STO (GT40) and the pumps will run continuously with ignition switch on.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 5:44am
Ok, I will pull it and bench test it tomorrow. What is the STO that you are referring to? I have the excalibur not the GT40, although it seems PCM used similar fuel supply systems for both engines.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 8:59am
Nathan The Excal uses the same low pressure pump as the GT40 but it will not have a STO connector. There would be a way to make the pumps run but not sure how it is done on that engine.

89 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2014 at 12:17am
I pulled the low pressure fuel pump and bench tested it. It is pumping fine, no issues there. So having ruled out fuel pump failure, what else could it be?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2014 at 9:55pm
Spray some fuel into your intake and see if it fires up. It may start and run good but die quickly when the fuel you sprayed in is used up.
This is usually 10 seconds run time. If it runs you are chasing a fuel supply issue. Be very careful or a backfire may happen and fire danger is real. A wet towel available to dowse an intake fire is a great idea if you try this test.
Don't leave your fuel source close to the engine when you crank it or you could have two fires.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2014 at 5:04am
That is very helpful, thank you. I will do this if the replacement of the High Pressure fuel pump doesn't do the trick. I already have the parts all together ready for a tomorrow install.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2014 at 8:58am
Go back to your fuel pressure at the rail. If you still only have 8lbs you either have a blockage in fuel lines to rail or one of your pumps are intermittent.

89 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 5:01am
Ok, I finally had some time to work on my boat. :)

I re-installed the fuel pumps (high and low pressure) today. I cannot get the low pressure to prime. Is there a priming sequence for these? Is this a sign my low pressure is bad even after a successful bench test? Thoughts?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 2:04pm
if there is air in the line, you may have a hard time priming.   check the seal at your fuel filter(water separator), check the anti siphon valve at the tank to make sure it's not gummed up, if all that checks out, then yes, I suspect your low pressure pump.   the motor on the pump can run even if the pump mechanism isn't functioning properly. once loaded, the pump may be too weak to pull fuel from the fuel filter
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 3:31pm
Could be a fuel pump relay?

That's a common thing to go wrong with the GT40s, could be a possibility on an Excal as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 12:58am
I spent 3 more hours today working on this. Fuel pumps are primed and pumping fuel pressure is good at the rail, still no start. The engine will crank but it sound as if it is binding. I can turn the distributor and it seems to affect whether or not the engine binds and back fires through the intake. I am beginning to think this is more timing related. I did the test where I pour the fuel down the throttle body and that only caused a small fire when the engine backfired leading me to believe the issue is not fuel delivery.

Cap and rotor are 6 months old. The rotor was loose and presented a 3 millimeter gap between the rotor and the dist. housing. I tightened it down and it did not correct the issue.

Thoughts? cam sensor? crank sensor? timing chain breaking or jumping?

Guys I am lost. Not my first foray into engine work, definitely my most frustrating to date (and I have rebuilt a few BMW engines!!!)

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 1:45am
did they use the same non-gasoline rated tube in the fcc in the excal that they did in the gt-40? you could check that for cracks or leaks...free to check, cheap to replace
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 4:15am
Timing Chain Failure is almost unheard of in the last 10 years. The manufacturers lost a lot of credibility in the 70's and 80's with timing chain failure and moved to much better materials. Boats don't see the hours that passenger cars do so the odds are even smaller for a timing chain failure.
Running a fuel pump while dry can burn one up in less than 20 seconds run time so be careful to make sure they are primed. They are fuel lubricated and no fuel = dry bushings in the pump, they gaul and fail fast when dry.
To backfire you have both fuel and spark, spark may be at the wrong time and needs to be investigated. This is a fuel injected engine, does it have an OBD2 port you can plug into? A scan tool may help solve this, you may be able to read what changed when the engine stopped running. I have never owned or worked on a boat as new as yours so my suggestions are guesses but I have worked on many 5.3L and 5.7L GM engines with fuel injection.
If I read correctly you said it was turning over slower than normal? That may indicate flooding and one cylinder may be hydro locking partially. You might pull the spark plugs and look for a wet plug. Spin the engine with the plugs out, it may pump fuel out of one cylinder but it should spin fast with no slow spot in the rotation with the plugs out.
Is there any chance when you checked the Cap and rotor that you removed and re installed the plug wires? Maybe the firing order is off or reversed. It only takes 2 crossed wires to create a lot of issues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 6:12am
Well, I spent another three hours trying to fix this problem... and it ended up being a cap and rotor. it was a last ditch effort, and it worked. The 4 month old cap and rotor failed suddenly. how odd is that?

I am back on the water!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 9:35am
Awesome. At least it wasn't something too expensive.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 1:00pm
Sometimes it's the little things, glad you found it.

Nice work
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 3:35pm
What exactly failed with the cap / rotor?
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathankrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2014 at 5:36pm
No idea. There was very slight evidence of corrosion. I small hint of blue, no pitting or wearing of the nodes. I guess it was enough to arc. It was most likely a failure internally of the cap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic