NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stroker build on wake world

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stroker build on wake world
    Posted: December-16-2014 at 10:17pm
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803786&page=99999
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 3:48am
Wakeworld is full of strokers!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 10:14am
I don't know maybe its the guys camera (in the video links on the Wakeworld page) but that engine sounds horrible.

It did pull to 44mph (paddle wheel) pretty quick.

He mentions about 10 times that it has more power then a ZR409/450 but I would like to see a dyno sheet or something. The interesting thing is it sounds like he came up with software work around to tune it. That could be worthwhile.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

It did pull to 44mph (paddle wheel) pretty quick.

Meh, A stock 330 should pull that boat up to 44 pretty well. ITs a cool project, very clean, and strong moves to reprogram the computer on his own.. but its not screaming big hp yet from those videos...

However, I assume there is a lot of tuning left to do...

For reference this is an in the boat hole shot video of my 83... with the economy prop on it that holds it down to 5200 rpm. Any that I have tried to take with the 6000 rpm prop just come out a loud blur

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 11:12am
Love the 83! AND your right, yours is way faster to 50 something - HA! Just seem to recall that my Sport takes forever to get int the 40's, which reminded me I actually have video and sure enough it is quicker then I remembered.

The 6000 RPM blur problem: I have a suction cup mount that I think would affix to the dash right next to your speedo, Theoretically if the camera is affixed to the same surface as the speedo, blur should be eliminated, or at least minimized. We will give it a try next time we are together with your boat.

My hole shot video (of a very slooowwww, stock, sport):
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 11:25am
I'm not going to WW... I assume it's the same guy from japan that posted on PN!

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/maintenance-technical-discussion/30302-excalibur-330-to-383-stroker-i-build?29565-excalibur-330-to-383-stroker-I-build=

Definitely some language barrier issues or an unwillingness to provide numbers that might allow one to back calculate hp. It's cool he got it running (presumably somewhat reliably) with a custom tune, but count me as skeptical on the 450-500hp claim. That would would be good for somewhere in the 55mph range based on how the python pushes a tsc and how the 375-409hp 6.0L's push the tsc2/3 boats. I ain't seeing it in those videos.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 12:00pm
In the first video his stargazer is set to KPH not MPH that things a dog!!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

In the first video his stargazer is set to KPH not MPH that things a dog!!

Agreed, it flashed 47 kmh, and it didn't seem to be revving that hard. The second video looks like a 40+ MPH wake, so I believe the 44 MPH number he blasts on that video.

I get the sense, he is hesitant to run it out for very long, either for "break-in" purposes, or he doesn't like the porpoising. Needs to have one of our high speed guys run it out for him!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 12:24pm
In the second video, clearly it's moving faster than 44 kph. But back to the first, a glimpse of the tach revealed 40kph @ 4700rpm. I wouldn't trust the PP reading.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 3:11pm
I am more impressed with a stock 240 horse Ford.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 3:50pm
Tough crowd, better watch out, Wang may be a Ninja and will Samurai Sword all your Yankee azzes!!

I think it's a cool build, as Joe said, perhaps still a work in progress. When I saw him post that on PN I did think it would be cool if he got involved over here where the gearhead knowledge seems to be MUCH stronger.

He also posted recently looking for a motor less 210, maybe he has another project in the works.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 4:00pm
Anyone catch his first name?
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 4:22pm
Yoshihiro Sak
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 5:31pm
Ahhhhhh, I send him parts way over there. Always looking for weird off the wall stuff.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 6:43pm
I have embedded videos here before but just spent 20 minutes for a full fail but here the '79 with an estimated 280hp 5.7 GM with stock federal wheel for reference. I think Im faster. for now anyway. I figure 400 hp is realistic for carbed 383 but would like to see one run. 450? I dunno, not on pump gas anyway.

http://vimeo.com/45129761
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I am more impressed with a stock 240 horse Ford.

yeh Chev and Ford HP numbers are not 1:1   

Cool project especially from the turbo 4cyl envirnoment in Japan.

His 450-500HP is a bit opTIMistic though.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 1:44pm
This gentleman is a little optimistic about about his HP numbers. I've built a couple of sbc strokers. No magic here. Most fall into the 350-375HP range with similar torque numbers. The stroker concept is a means of increasing displacement using an existing power plant, space, and drive line components. To get into the larger HP numbers power adders are needed (forced induction, nitro, etc...). Strokers also have limitations - they have to be kept cool - heat is not their friend. The cylinder walls are pretty thin at 0.030 over. Some blocks will tolerate up 0.060, but as they get thinner the probability of core shift within the block increases. All other thing being equal a 383 still has less cid's than a 409. The timing curve (advance rate) is the single most important aspect that will need changing on the ecm.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 1:50pm
383 is more cubic inches than a PCM 409. 409 is the claimed horsepower output. Actual cubic inches are more like 366.

Cooling is never an issue with fresh water cooled blocks anyways.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 1:51pm
John, that Chebby in the 79 sounds reallllyyy smooth and quiet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 2:15pm
Thanks Zach, build e'm by hand and they run nice. The serp belt is a great improvement to an inboard. The boat is now finished and runs an ACME so its even better.
Funny thing is I had been tossing around a stroker build for this boat until the wife reminded me that #1 son is turning 14; and do I really need more HP in the boat he is likely to drive? Yeah... uh no honey, i guess not. :)
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 3:59pm
383 is more cubic inches than a PCM 409. 409 is the claimed horsepower output. Actual cubic inches are more like 366.

Cooling is never an issue with fresh water cooled blocks anyways.

That's a little disappointing at 366cid. I really like big block engines - do you think the "409" designation came from an engineer or a marketing executive? Did you notice how the CCF board came alive when that PCM 454 went up for sale last week. Regarding the stroker, raw water cooling, and engine temperatures - with the thinner walls they are less likely to survive a temperature related event such as a failed raw water pump, circulating pump, or thermostat sticking. Keep it cool!

Merry Christmas Y'all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic