Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Losing transmission fluid, milky fluid coming out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Losing transmission fluid, milky fluid coming out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing transmission fluid, milky fluid coming out
    Posted: April-29-2015 at 12:20am
I have a pcm 87 351w with a 1:1 BW tranny. At the end of last season after installing a new (used) Windsor and tranny, upon my first startup as I ran it, I noticed a pink milkshake coming out from where the engine meets the bellhousing. I checked the tranny fluid and it was full of water and tranny fluid. I had my parts motor that I pulled my known good tranny cooler from, suspecting a bad cooler. I put it in, flushed it 3 times, ran it and it appeared all was good and I laid it up. I re-commissioned it today and while running I started checking the tranny fluid and it was barely on the dipstick. At that moment I looked and saw it was leaking a pink milkshake into the bilge again, however the fluid in the tranny is still clean just seeping out a milkshake on the front of the bellhousing. I have been reading other posts and I'm not sure which seal is bad? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give. I'm on motor two in just under a year and would love to be able to fix this without pulling the entire motor for the third, fourth ( I've lost count time ). I've read of just using bottle jacks under my manifolds and separating the two but from there I don't know what's next?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 7:50am
Joel,
It takes awhile for the seepage to stop so hopeful;;y it's just residual still in the bellhousing. What is the color? is it still pink? If so, then the front seal on the trans is leaking. and it needs to be pulled. The front seal is easy to change but be warned that there may be an underlying cause. The area at that seal should not see any pressure. If it does, then the pump needs attention usually involving a trans rebuild. Pull the trans and get back to us on what you find.

Did you put in a new damper plate?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 10:16am
Pete, I did not do a rebuild on the tranny, last fall when I installed everything I started her up found the leakage AND had it in the tranny. Yesterday, after getting it to temp it started to seep again, from there I was literally putting fluid in as it was running and it was just seeping right back out, however what was actually in the tranny was clean, just leaking out just rear of the oil pan. I do have my other tranny that worked perfect in my barn setting? Would I be better to just swap?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 10:23am
At this point yes use a couple of jack stands to support the engine and swap it out- your transmission is pumping fluid through the front seal you will likely need a full rebuild to stop it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 10:32am
Gotcha, ok anybody interested in the tranny that needs rebuilt?
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 12:10pm
Ok, I'm not too worried about getting anything out of the tranny that needs rebuilt at this point, I'll figure that out at a later date. Can anyone provide a link for removal and install so I can make my swap. I'm assuming the damper plate while I'm doing it but as far as everything else can you guys advise?
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 9:43pm
Update: I pulled the tranny, bellhousing and damper plate, I got a hold of a reputable shop to do the tranny swap and align everything after for around $300. It seemed like a good price to pay so I didn't make a mistake trying to do something I know zero about.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic