Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel cell recall??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel cell recall??
    Posted: May-11-2015 at 11:21am
A buddy sent me this blurb...

I got a SERIOUS recall notice on the GT-40 engine fuel cell
Where the power wires enter WILL slowly dissolve with ethanol fuel

I did the fuel line recall/replacement when I first got my 1997 GT-40. Did I miss something else?

Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 11:50am
I don't think it's actually a recall or they would send you the parts to fix it. but there is a safety letter issued in April 2015 about a possible leak where the wires enter the FCC. The seal may deteriorate due to Ethanol gas. The parts cost around $100, I'd call Zach at N3 and see if he has it in stock.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 11:54am
This applies to pre 2007 boats, They also state the concern is with ethanol blend in excess of 10% so it may or may not be a concern for you for safety sake I would inspect and replace it right away if there was any doubt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 2:14pm
Here's the scoop from PCM.

#SUP2015-01 PEG Product Information April 2015

Fuel System Safety Inspections

The use of ethanol blended fuels in marine engines has been a growing concern over the years. Pleasurecraft

Engine Group (PEG) issued an Ethanol Statement to the dealer network in October 2006 describing the

effects of ethanol on fuel system components. The implementation of ethanol blended fuel has spread rapidly

throughout the United States. As such, Pleasurecraft provided the following information regarding the use of

ethanol blended fuel.

Ethanol blended fuel rated E10 or less is acceptable to use. Fuels rated higher than E10 SHOULD NOT

BE USED. Ethanol blended fuels rated higher than E10 could potentially damage the engine and/or

present an unsafe boating condition. Damage to the engine resulting from the use of ethanol blended

fuel rated higher than E10 IS NOT covered by the warranty.

If ethanol blended fuel rated E10 or less is used, or if the presence of alcohol is uncertain, more frequent

inspections and service of the complete fuel system are required. Any sign of fuel leakage or deterioration

must be repaired immediately before further engine operation.

It is important to note that ethanol blended fuel will act as a solvent and will attract and hold moisture.

Without proper fuel stabilization and fuel filtration, ethanol blended fuel may cause the following:

•      Excessive moisture (water) may cause lean operation to include hard starting and operating difficulties

such as, vapor lock, low speed stalling, and shortened fuel shelf life.

•      Acting as a solvent, ethanol blended fuel may cause gum, sediment, sludge, and other particles to be

loosened and carried through the fuel system to the engine.

•      Damage to fuel system components due to deterioration.

Fuel system or engine damage caused by contamination from water, foreign particles, sludge, or gum

entering or forming in the fuel system is not covered by Pleasurecraft Limited Warranty.

At Pleasurecraft Marine, customer safety is always our most important concern. As always, inspection

of ALL engine and boat fuel system components should be part of any general maintenance and/

or inspection of the engine and boat. All of these components are subject to deterioration over time.

Pleasurecraft strives to design components with the best material available at the time they are designed.

Prior to 2007, fuel system components were not designed to be subjected to some of the fuels available

today. Over time, ethanol blended fuels and/or fuel additives may deteriorate fuel system components. Some

examples of these components are, but not limited to, fuel tanks, fuel fill hoses, sending unit gaskets, fuel lines,

fittings, fuel pumps, fuel rails, injectors, etc. Rubber lines and gaskets can deteriorate and clog fittings and/or

leak externally. This is an example of the overall fuel system that can be affected.

Starting in 2007 model year, several fuel system components were redesigned with new material that

was designed to withstand fuels that contained up to a maximum of 10% ethanol. Pleasurecraft strives to

continually monitor component deterioration overtime, and to take appropriate steps to inform our customers

and dealers of any potential safety related concerns.

Pleasurecraft Engine Group has recognized a component that was used up until 9 years ago, that is subject to

possible deterioration over time, when used with today’s fuels. The component is called the Fuel Control Cell

(FCC) Pass-Thru wiring lead, and was used on engine models prior to model year 2007. This component has

a potential to deteriorate the sealant in the barrel of the FCC Pass-Thru wiring lead, and allow fuel to seep,

or leak externally through this connection. As stated above, this is only one component within a complete

fuel system that should be inspected often for any signs of deterioration and/or leaking. If this component is

suspect upon inspection, it should be replaced before a leak can develop.

The original FCC Pass-Thru wiring is no longer available as a service part. A replacement part is now

available that is made with material that can withstand a MAXIMUM of 10% ethanol. Contact Pleasurecraft

Parts Department and order FCC Pass-Thru part number RF121085.

The fuel Control Cell can be mounted in any of the four corners of the engine. There are too may engine types

and models to show every location.

The picture below shows what the Fuel Control Cell looks like, and identifies the Pass-Thru Wiring that is being

called out to be inspected or replaced.

IMPORTANT: It is highly recommended that the 10 micron FCC fuel filter/water separator also be replaced

when the fuel control cell is disassembled to replace the pass-thru wiring. The FCC filter kit part number is

RP080026.

Again, this is only one component within a complete fuel system that should be inspected often for any signs of

deterioration and/or leaking.

Original FCC Pass Thru Wiring - 9/16” Hex Screw-In Fitting

Order Replacement Part Number RF121085

(No Longer Available)

1964 American Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 7:22pm
When did we start calling gas tanks "fuel cell"?? I thought fuel cells were flexible bladders??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 12:10am
It's what I'd call the water separator, not the fuel tank. There was a pic on the article. It's the black cylinder located on the left front area of the engine.

1964 American Skier
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

When did we start calling gas tanks "fuel cell"?? I thought fuel cells were flexible bladders??

That's what PCM has called the canister they put the fuel pump in since the mid 90's.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 10:53am
I think I may have left out one word... I think PCM calls it the Fuel Control Cell (FCC), not just the Fuel Cell. I ordered the kit. It's 95 bucks and as my buddy pointed out "I'm not really sure what's in the kit". But my reply to him was "Adirondack Nautique has always been the best! Until I see otherwise, I trust their word".

1964 American Skier
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 11:07am
It's the FCC Pete (Fuel Control Cell). The pass thru wires are just molded into a pass thru nut with some sealant of sorts and the ethanol eats it up. The new one is the same just different compound that resists ethanol.

I should probably do the retrofit on dad's boat this winter.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 7:38pm
I understand the recall is regarding the fcc. My post was regarding the use of "fuel cell" for gas tank. It's come up in other threads on site. I googled fuel cell VS: gas tank and there's plenty of info out there. The term is being used for a gas tank incorrectly and seems to be a current "buzz" word. It's like the Buss word "billet". You can google that too and find it too is being used incorrectly!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 10:33pm
When ever someone asks me how much fuel I have I normally reply with "oh about half a bag",or "I have a full bag" habit from my line of work. Never called it a fuel cell though.

Pete I think they may have been referring to hybrids where they do have fuel cells.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 10:46am
Yeah well.........Disbond and delaminated are terms used WRONG all the time but it's already been covered here several times and explained in a video.... Fuel tank....Fuel Cell....it's all the same!    
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic