NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small water drip from head (motor)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small water drip from head (motor)
    Posted: May-19-2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Yep mine did the same thing, got about 2 years out of the JB. The crack will keep getting longer just depends on how long you want to roll the dice.
I eventually figured it wasn't worth possibly ruining a vacation over and changed the heads.

Looks like that is right where I am. Lucky for me I still have the 82SN still going strong. I think this will be a winter project, unless it lets go sooner.

This is the first major engine issue I have had in the 20 years of owning SN.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 10:11pm
Yep mine did the same thing, got about 2 years out of the JB. The crack will keep getting longer just depends on how long you want to roll the dice.
I eventually figured it wasn't worth possibly ruining a vacation over and changed the heads.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If it is a small drip and not a water flow and you are not running a sealed cooling system I would go ahead and run it till it needs other repair. You said it is running great.
With constant water supply from a fresh water pump it may never cause an issue assuming you don't run this in salt water.

Normally I would agree, mine leaked for quite a while before I did anything. With closed cooling (fresh water) I would be a little more cautious because when you run it out of antifreeze it's done and cooked.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 6:12pm
Gt40 heads seem to crack often. Recently Jody at Florida Inboards said something about hanging manifolds on aluminium heads that turned on a light. Since its only gt40 heads they must have been cast thinner than other part # heads. Hang a heavy cast iron PCM manifold on them might just be cracking them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 5:36pm
It is a fresh water system, so it isn't under a lot of pressure. I will clean it up again and try and get it through the season, then figure out what to do. Just seems like a weird failure. Motor has 800hrs.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 5:21pm
If it is a small drip and not a water flow and you are not running a sealed cooling system I would go ahead and run it till it needs other repair. You said it is running great.
With constant water supply from a fresh water pump it may never cause an issue assuming you don't run this in salt water.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 4:53pm
A couple of years ago I noticed a tiny drip of water adjacent (bowside) to the last head bolt on the port side of the engine. I cleaned it up and put some JB weld on it. It lasted until this year and is dripping again. Boat runs great. 95 SNOB.

I know I am looking at removal and a proper repair. Just curious if this is common. I haven't seen it before. I always winterize, and this boat is stored in an insulated building.

I wish I had taken a picture. Any thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic