Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 GT40 No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautiquesonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 GT40 No Spark
    Posted: May-24-2015 at 5:03pm
Hi All,

I have a 98 Sport Nautique GT40 2nd owner and for over 10 years no troubles.Put a new battery in yesterday, Skied earlier this week ran great, went to ski the course yesterday morning and it would not start just would turn over. Checked the relays, fuel pumps are fine checked for spark and nothing, plugs are wet with gas. I pulled the cap and rotor which i replaced last year and some corrosion in there and cleaned all the contacts. Still no spark. Not sure if its the coil or something else, thought i would check here before i started ordering things i dont need. I appreciate any insight

Thank you,

Nautiquesonly
Living Life 1 bouy at a time behind my Nautique in Florida.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 6:29pm
I would use a voltmeter to trace the primary (12V) circuit before ordering any parts.

Something as simple as corrosion under the dizzy (bad ground) can create an open circuit.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 11:07am
I know some year GT40s have power connections to the battery other than the two main cables. I think the power feed for the computer or something. Also, that line sometimes has it's own little fuse.

Since you just replaced your battery, make sure everything related is clean, tight and attached as it should be. And also TNT the little fuse, if it has that, is not blown.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 11:58am
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what a dizzy is? I did remove the cap and rotor and cleaned all the contacts etc that day, still nothing anyway to test a coil? This is kind of frustrating since its always fired right up and when i put it away after the last use it was running perfect

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 12:00pm
Thanks for the reply, Mine only has the 2 cables at the battery and a thin gauge purple wire for the radio. I will check it again though.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 7:14pm
Dizzy is shorthand for Distributor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic