NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How would you do it?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you do it?
    Posted: June-06-2015 at 1:36pm
Last year I did a couple 4 man pulls off my pylon. One of the times included a pretty weighty fellow who really dragged his butt getting up, putting quite a strain on the pylon. So one or both of these pulls led to my pylon loosening up. According to TimB, the only thing reinforcing the pylon in these old (pre-cradle) boats was the wood floor. So it ends up, some prior owner had actually reinforced the pylon with a sturdy aluminum cross member, under the floor, bolted/screwed to the stringers. Great idea, until I put so much force on it that it bent, probably 1/2 inch out of line.

So I reinforced that structure last winter, should be good to go. I am hoping to do another 4-5 man pull in the coming weeks. I will not push my pylon like I did last year again, so I am going to use my fly-hi for any multi man runs in the future.. So, how would you do it? I dont want to put all 5 on the top of the fly-hi. I think it is plenty strong enough (we did four footers off the top of Brads fly-hi several years ago) but I am wondering if that puts too much downward push on the stern and too much lift on the bow to slow down acceleration out of the hole, dragging out the getting up process. But I am also afraid to put too many ropes on the cheesy little ring and finger bolted to the lower end of the fly-hi because I dont want to bend it or rip it out. Maybe 3 up 2 down or 2 up, three down? What do you think. Remember, this is just a little Tique with a 305, not a big boy ski boat with a cradle and lots of engine.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 1:59pm
I thought Skykon does not recommend to even pull skiers from the top in their instructions Larry, would think fly hi would be the same. Seems like an awful lot of strain on the structure.. Go borrow cousin Dons new ride,he will be booked the next few weekends,prime dancing gigs you know with all the bachelorette parties in June.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 2:15pm
I think the warning against skiers is because of the significant, unsupported pulls to the left and right. That would not be the case with 4-5 guys staying right behind the boat.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 9:24am
I would make sure the fly high cable to bow eye is good and snug and take all skiers from the top. To err on side of caution you could stagger the ropenheights as you mention

Good luck and pics or it did not happen
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 9:38am
For a large multi run, absolutely install the Skylon. However, do NOT pull from the top... Pull from standard pylon height- the Skylon is there just to proved the extra reinforcement to the bow. A large pull from the top would be a lot more stressful on the pylon and also stand the boat up coming out of the hole.

If you Skylon isn't installed over a sdbm, then I'd wrap a large bridle around the entire thing in the vicinity of the low tow point (and top of normal pylon). Use the tow point to keep the bridle from slipping up/down but don't rely on it's strength for the pull.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 10:29am
Ditto what Tim sez. Create the triangle with the skylon then pull from std height.

Couple wraps of webbing and steel climbing rated carabinier could make an alternate tie in location if you don't trust the hardware.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 1:49pm
Tried 4 deep from the tower on the 206 and we all just drowned, high pull with a heavy load will make the boat struggle to plane off, just pulls the bow up in the air.

So even if your tow point could handle it the boat may not.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 3:57pm
That surprises my Chris. As I mentioned, back in 07, four of us (Tim, Keith, Brad and Me - what a great day, we had a blast that evening after work, early October chilly and then dark, but what a night) footed behind Brad's 86, pulled from the top of the fly-hi. Admittedly, we didn't do four deeps, I forget the exact combination, but I think it was 2 deepers and 2 droppers from 1 ski. Wouldn't think a BF deep start would be that much more pull than a guy on a ski.

The boat attitude fighting the plane off is what concerned me. I thought about a sling low on the fly-hi, but my concern with that was, if it breaks, it whips around the cabin, potentially hurting occupants. Seems to me I recall in the vids from Timmy's event last year, a group ski was done with some kind of sling. Anyway, I've come up with a plan on how to use the fly-hi but pull from the base of it, at the height of the mounted pull, without using the mounted pull. Should work.

Edit: Found the photo I was thinking of, from Tim's.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Go borrow cousin Dons new ride,he will be booked the next few weekends,prime dancing gigs you know with all the bachelorette parties in June.

So True. Plus there is a Jenny Craig and a Weight Watchers convention in town during the month of June. Those big girls really enjoy seeing a big man on the brass pole!!!!!! Those chubby chasers go wild !
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 4:50pm
There is no sling back with no-stretch [ski/leader] rope or slings.

The only reason a slalom handle slings back is the polypropylene rope + the weight of the handle on the end. A snapped ski rope doesn't go anywhere.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 1:15am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

. Remember, this is just a little Tique with a 305, not a big boy ski boat with a cradle and lots of engine.

LOL...

"I swear that was only 39 Bill".......Gene Monahan...driving during 2 & 3 man runs behind this little Tique.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic