NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 351w Rear Main Oil Leak - Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 351w Rear Main Oil Leak - Help
    Posted: June-09-2015 at 10:18pm
Bought a 76' Ski Nautique with a 351w that has sat for a few years. After a good compression test, and tune-up, carb rebuild and oil change, got her running like a top. Took it for a couple of rides and it runs amazing except for one problem.... The rear main leaks into the bilge.

It's not a show stopper but I don't want to pump bilge water into the lake and its a pain to clean up the bilge each ride. Also worried it'll get worse. With that said, wondering what I have for options to get me through the rest of the summer. I'll pull engine in fall and reseal it up over the winter but for now what can I do? Does anyone have any experience with oil leak sealers you add to the motor oil? I was also thinking of tightening the oil pan bolts. If you have any advice, shoot me a message. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve
East Waterboro, ME
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 10:30am
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 10:35am
Sounds like you need a "bilge buoy". Stick one in the bilge and it'll absorb the oil but not the water.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 10:43am
Verify what block you have so you can start looking for a reverse rotation seal set now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2015 at 4:15pm
So besides replacing the seal there's nothing I can do except replace? I can deal with a small leak, just worried about it getting worse
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2015 at 5:04pm
Unfortunately no. Your problem will be tracking down a seal,the 2 piece ones have been discontinued. You boat should have the 2 piece one but you never know if the block has been replaced. Mid 80's engines switched to a 1 piece seal
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 8:05pm
I believe skidim sells what I need. Anyone had any luck with ordering 2 of the 2 piece seals?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 8:50pm
The 2-piece seals are not hard to find. They're not rotation specific so id hesitate paying a premium for one that says it is.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 9:00pm
I know not to question your memory but I thought the 2 piece ones were n/a? Which are the ones you can't get any more? As to his crank being tricky I think it was someone else who needed one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 9:29pm
You're thinking of the RH 1-piece 302 seals that Reid had custom made.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 10:24pm
Who knows Tim,I'm just glad I don't have to worry about it,nothing I have would need one!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic