Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb rebuild question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb rebuild question
    Posted: June-10-2015 at 9:17pm
I've been fighting a rough, inconsistent idle for quite a while. I have done everything I know to dial it in including verifying timing, dwell, and using vacuum gauge to help set idle. No indication of vacuum leak either. I just can't seem to get it right and I know it's not just me being picky because I drove Timbob's 88 last weekend and it idles like a dream compared to mine.

When I turn the port side idle screw all the way in with engine running and in gear the motor stumbles but will not die. Screwing the starboard side in will quickly kill the engine. This leads me to believe the problem lies somewhere in there and something is just not right with the idle circuit.

I have a carb rebuild kit, but it seems silly to use it when everything about the carb seems great except the idle. Is there something else I should investigate or is it time to just rebuild?
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 12:42pm
Idle circuit will always be the first thing to buggar up. the clearances are such.
If you waited till the mains and PVCOs were plugged before going in, it would be tough boating.

Inside the metering block is likely where your trouble lies.

Fuel Filtration will need to be investigated unless you like doing rebuilds more frequently

In your situaltion, One dirty trick to try before a rebuild is to remove the front bowl, inspect and clean. When off, remove the idle mix air screws. Blow compressed air in the passage where the screews go. This may dislodge debri from the idle fuel orifice.

If there is crap in the bowl, address fuel filtration issue before assembling and starting.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 1:27pm
The only thing I can add is, DO NOT look into the carb to see if you can see anything happening when using compress air into the passages. Gas really stings in the eyes. I know from experience. Put the air gun under a old tee shirt covering the carb. Or something like that.
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 1:37pm
Thanks guys. That's kinda what I was thinking too. I will pull the bowl and blow things out. Admitedly, I have not been as good as I should over the years about changing out fuel filters. That's more critical than ever these days with the crap gas otu there.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 3:31pm
if you have the kit then use it.
the rubber parts get dry rotted and stiff, o rings that seal the cross over tube also dry out and could leak at some point.

Its not a hard job so take it apart, use plenty of carb cleaner and or brake parts cleaner. and compressed air.   

Good to soak it since the gaskets for the metering blocks are tough to get off, carburator soak will soften them up nicely.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic