Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some raw water hose opinions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jbaisden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbaisden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some raw water hose opinions
    Posted: June-10-2015 at 9:58pm
Ok so long story short my Sherwood water pump needed a rebuild so for less than the price of the rebuild kit I just bought a new Johnson F6B-9 pump. I figured that extra flow couldn't hurt. Now this pump has 1 1/4 " inlets on it. All my old hose is 1". I need to replace all of my water hose anyway so I was wondering if y'all think I should change it all to 1 1/4" or just keep it 1" and use adapters to get it attached at the RW pump. The brass fitting are easy enough to come by but my thermostat housing is cast iron so I'm not sure what to do about that to change it over. Also should I change out the thru hull pick up fitting or do you think just threading that with an adapter would be sufficient?
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 10:27pm
Adding adapters will introduce another point where air can get in and cause temperature irregularities. I'd rebuild the Sherwood pump and return the Johnson.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:10pm
As long as fittings and clamps were tight, I don't see why adapters wouldn't work. How much work is it to get the pump to fit? Does it bolt right up?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by a0128 a0128 wrote:

Adding adapters will introduce another point where air can get in and cause temperature irregularities. I'd rebuild the Sherwood pump and return the Johnson.
+1
jbaisden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbaisden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:34pm
Yes, Jonny Quest, It's bolts right to the crankshaft pulley. I welded up my own anti rotation bracket (just cause I already had the metal to do it) but you can buy the bracket as well. It does away with having an extra belt and is a little easier to change impellers. You don't have to remove the pump to change them. Just open the front cover.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 1:30am
I bought a Sherwood rebuild kit for under 80.00. By the time you bought the pump,hoses,fittings,your time and all the lost water time you would have been ahead.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 10:40am
Originally posted by a0128 a0128 wrote:

Oh pish posh, if you can run a screw driver or a socket wrench, you can tighten the fittings. I put a crank mount Johnson on mine when Depco told me rebuild components were no longer available for my old OMC pump. Happy with the choice. I went into the back room of an auto parts store and searched random cooling system hoses till I found two with the diameter and bends that hooked up to the downward pointing inlet/outlet of the pump and then bent back under the engine and joined them up to the existing hoses. The brackets that are available with those pumps point the inlet/outlet to port, but that would have been a major replumb so I did a bracket too, that points them down.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 10:51am
Makes sense on obsolete pumps Larry but in this case why try to reinvent the wheel when parts are readily available and cheap. Driving to the parts store and going thru the hoses takes longer than rebuilding a Sherwood pump
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 12:14pm
You know - in the time it has taken to debate this the OP could have had his Sherwood rebuilt already.
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 3:38pm
The transmission cooler may also be complicating factor on the complete hose change to 1 1/4" hose. Most have 1" hose barb's for our applications.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Makes sense on obsolete pumps Larry but in this case why try to reinvent the wheel when parts are readily available and cheap. Driving to the parts store and going thru the hoses takes longer than rebuilding a Sherwood pump

Yup, plus every time I go over to Napa, I end up buying something I really don't need!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 11:56pm
Pete there is no such thing As something you don't need at NAPA. Just some things you don't need right now
jbaisden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbaisden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 12:13am
You guys crack me up. The question of which pump to use I had already decided, purchased and fabricated a bracket for. I like the fact that it's mounted on the crank. Now I have room on the motor to add a compressor and have air conditioning. If you can tell by my profile pic I'm not to concerned about keeping this boat all original. I had thought about the cooler Mountain Man. When I get around to upgrading the transmission I'll get one of the longer 12" coolers. I'm pretty sure they have 1 1/4" inlets. I think I'll just step it up at the pump for now just to keep it simple. I'll rebuild the Sherwood so I can sell to help pay for a new transmission.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic