Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 302 will not start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
klockhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klockhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 302 will not start
    Posted: June-11-2015 at 2:06pm
I'm working on a 1969 CorrectCraft Mustang with Ford 302...I recently replaced plugs, ( gapped at .035 ) wires, dist cap, rotor, points, and coil...( I did not replace the condensor as the one that came with the tune up kit did not fit )..set points to .017 as specified...I can not even get a sputter when cranking it over..I suspect there's a lack of spark but do not know what to check next....What is the best way to test for spark?...Any insight would greatly be appreciated!!!
Mustang "69"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 2:15pm
Look for spark at the points and then at the plug. The latter, either a timing light or a spare spark plug hooked to one of the wires with the strap held to ground works.
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 3:05pm
One thing you might also look at is the very small ground wire from the dist. body to the plate. The points,condenser are mounted to it. If you were moving stuff or swapping things out it may have broke or not been put back on because it fell down under the plate?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2015 at 10:17pm
Good suggestions.

Are you getting power to the coil? Yes on the distributor being grounded. Get the VOM out and check resistance between the point plate and engine block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 3:14pm
re verify the order your plug wires are in.
klockhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klockhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2015 at 3:51pm
Thanks to you all who have replied!!...Took a look at all of your suggestions and traced the problem back to a faulty external resistor....Try finding one of those!..Located one at a local Advanced Auto after touring my area for a couple of hours!!!...Cleaned all electrical connections, installed new resistor and boat fired up immediately!...making my wakebaording daughters very happy!...Thanks again!!!
Mustang "69"
klockhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klockhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2015 at 3:52pm
thanks for your responses...traced problem back to a faulty external resistor...On the water!!
Mustang "69"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by klockhart klockhart wrote:

thanks for your responses...traced problem back to a faulty external resistor...

Ken,
Happy boating. I'm glad to hear you found the problem. Yes, the VOM is a wonderful diagnostic tool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic