NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1991 pcm 351 temp gauge spike. PLEASE HELP

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautiquelover1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1991 pcm 351 temp gauge spike. PLEASE HELP
    Posted: June-14-2015 at 11:48am
hello fellow nautique lovers. im writing today in hopes of gaining some understanding of a problem i am having with a 1991 ski nautique with a pcm 351. the boat was winterized by a professional at a shop this past fall and yesterday was the first day we went to drop it in the water. as soon as i turn the key, and before i even fire it up, the temp gauge spikes to 200+ completely maxed out as far to the right as it can go before the motor has even turned over while it is still cold. my first thought was the impellar which i checked and was fine. after i checked to make sure that was working and water was running through the engine i fired it up and it was good. i let it run for a while to see if it would get to hot and it didnt. temp gauge continued to stay spiked but boat ran with no noticeable problems, engine and exhaust felt normal and nothing was getting "too hot". the only thing done as of this year was a new distributor rotor and cap, which was also only hand timed which i also need to have done correctly with a gun. i dont think this would have anything to do with the temp gauge spiking while the boat is still cold though. any and all imput is appreciated. thanks.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2015 at 12:09pm
A stone-cold engine will take several minutes at idle to come up to operating temperature. An instant-on "pegged" gauge is a problem with:

1) Wiring
2) Gauge
3) Sending unit

This should be an easy fix.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2015 at 12:11pm
This sounds like purely an electrical problem.

Basically, the temp gauge is just an Ohmmeter, and what you are actually reading is how much resistance there is to ground.

Now the sender, that is what is reading the temperature, and what it does is increase or decrease resistance to ground, depending on temperature.

The fact that the temp gauge spikes as soon as you turn the key, means that your sender wire is finding a direct path to ground somehow.

I would suspect that it (the sender wire) somehow got pinched against the block when the new distributor was being installed. Either that or it was accidentally pulled off the sender and hastily reattached to the nearest nut or bolt. Either of which would ground it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic