NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4 BARREL HOLLEY CARB ADJUSTMENT

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 1:57am
Cool man. Good to hear.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 11:01am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Go gently to the stop (where they bottom out), then bring them 1.5 turns out... That's usually a pretty good starting point.

Adjust idle level to ~700-750 and then adjust the 2 idle mixture screws for max vacuum. Then set idle level to 650 or so in gear.

I can follow this reply, with one exception...... how do I measure manifold vacuum? Best I can tell I don't see any ports on the engine manifold.

So I basically left the idle mixture screws on 1-1/2 turns out and set the RPM between 500 and 750 at idle in neutral.    I will go to the lake Saturday and tinker with the idle level at the throttle in gear. Where and how do folks measure manifold vacuum?

The dash RPM gauge limits the tuning. Is there a better way to measure RPM with no distributor?

Thanks,

Clark
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 11:05am
For future reference to folks that wonder about the JB Weld, here is a picture. I did both float bowls.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by malcolm2 malcolm2 wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Go gently to the stop (where they bottom out), then bring them 1.5 turns out... That's usually a pretty good starting point.

Adjust idle level to ~700-750 and then adjust the 2 idle mixture screws for max vacuum. Then set idle level to 650 or so in gear.

I can follow this reply, with one exception...... how do I measure manifold vacuum? Best I can tell I don't see any ports on the engine manifold.

So I basically left the idle mixture screws on 1-1/2 turns out and set the RPM between 500 and 750 at idle in neutral.    I will go to the lake Saturday and tinker with the idle level at the throttle in gear. Where and how do folks measure manifold vacuum?

The dash RPM gauge limits the tuning. Is there a better way to measure RPM with no distributor?

Thanks,

Clark

Manifold vacuum: Find the barb / port at the BOTTOM of the carburetor or on the spacer between the carburetor and the intake manifold. Those ports will provide you with full manifold vacuum. Then hook up a vacuum gauge to the port. Make sure that you have a good seal between port and hose and then between hose and vacuum gauge. NO vacuum leaks.

Then you adjust your idle mixture screws in 1/4 turn increments and watch your vacuum gauge. You adjust both screws until you achieve the maximum vacuum reading on the gauge.

At this point, some will tell you to turn them back in (clockwise) 1/4 turn for your "final" adjustment.

I like to have the boat in gear and at idle. RPMs at 600 to 700 at this point for proper idle mixture screw adjustment using the vacuum gauge. You can do this tied at the dock or on the trailer.

I would start at 1 1/2 turns out (counter-clockwise) from LIGHTLY seated. Don't over tighten the screws and damage the seat. When I ran the Holley 4160, my best vacuum was at 1 1/2 turns out. Maybe that's why its a good starting point!

Vacuum gauge: I like the unit from Lysle:

Lysle Vacuum Gauge

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 4:57pm
Sorry, but the questions keep coming.

I really only see one "barb" and it is much larger than what I saw in a few tuning videos. Is this where you are talking about getting a vacuum from? See photo: 1/2" diameter rubber hose goes from the valve cover vent to the carb riser.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2015 at 10:35pm
In your photo, you are indicating the PCV hose. That port / barb on the carb spacer will work just fine. Be sure to use the proper size hose. NO vacuum leaks.

One of these will help when dealing with hoses of different sizes.

If your PCV hose is in good shape, try removing the PCV valve from the valve cover. Then remove the PCV valve from the hose. Your vacuum gauge can hook-up right up there at the business end of the PCV hose. I put my smaller vacuum gauge hose inside the larger PCV hose. I used a small hose clamp (lightly tightened) to ensure a good seal.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic