Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wired Alternator Wrong - Electric Smoke!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ClaudeColp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaudeColp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wired Alternator Wrong - Electric Smoke!
    Posted: July-06-2015 at 6:28pm
So I am kicking myself for a moment of idiocy. I'm an electrical engineer and wired the alternator incorrectly. I swapped the E with the EXC terminal and ended up melting a wire (maybe more) on my 1992 Ski Nautique.

I've opened up the wiring harness and identified the failed red wire that is combined with a purple, another small red and the Green that goes to the EXC terminal on the alternator. The burnt up wire also lands on the smaller DC breaker under the Pro-tec coil pack.

I've purchased new tin coated copper wire and some ring terminals but I'm not sure if I've potentially burnt up any other things in the system that have no visual signs. I noticed it right away but I still had smoke and melted insulation. Boat was running just prior with a squealing alternator so everything was OK just prior to my mess up.

Has anyone else done this here? Any idea if I've messed anything else up that I should check that I can't currently see? Summer is short in NH and I'm hoping I didnt just ruin my change to get the boat in the water soon.

Thanks in advance,
Claude
Best,
Claude
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 7:28pm
Claude,
I'd say you will be good with the boat wiring but just to make sure, get the VOM out and Ohm out the general wiring. The Pro-tech hopefully will be good too.but if not, it's demise has just come sooner than later.
The alternator itself is tough but the bridge diodes aren't. If you don't get output from it. new diodes are available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic