Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FLAT spot on the starter?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLAT spot on the starter?
    Posted: July-13-2015 at 11:14am

Nice weekend on the lake in Nashville... The water was alittle high.

Re-newed carb, started and ran like a dream all weekend. I do have one question.

I have heard it called a "flat spot" on your starter. What exactly is that? I feel that mine could be showing those symptoms. The key is turned and I would hear the starter begin to turn then it would STOP, the volt meter would dive down for a second, then the starter would begin spinning again and the boat would start.

I assume the starter is original, making it 23 years old with 1530 hours on it.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 11:21am
Starter is suspect, but If the Volts are dropping its likely not a dead spot on the starter, which is an open condition.
Possibly too much initial advance will cause sluggy starting when hot.
One jug fires and stops the starter motor dead. 0RPM DC motor is a dead short, hence the steep Voltage drop.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 12:00pm
Brushes are worn down. Armature probably has a dip worn in it.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic