Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Service mode

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service mode
    Posted: September-09-2015 at 12:01pm
Dear Friends!

I have a Ski Nautique 1992 with a Ford 351 engine.
The engine is working well when it is cold, but after 5 or 10 minutes driving the service mode is activated. Under 2000rpm it is working well but over 2000 rpm the engine sounds bad and the power is gone.
The temp switch and oil pressure switch is OK.
I would be greatfull if you can help me.

Sven Svensson
Sweden
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 12:10pm
Low oil pressure and high temperature can put your ProTec ignition system in "limp" mode. This helps prevent extreme engine damage. If you truly have good oil pressure and temperature is OK I believe you can simply disconnect the temp and oil leads heading to the ProTec. "no news is good news"
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 12:27pm
As mentioned the first thing to try is disconnecting the wires at the oil and temp switches not the gauge sending units. They are normally an open circuit and are grounded when a failure is detected so the protec is looking for an open. Next I would measure the 12Vdc that supplies the protec unit. You can measure it at the 12.5 breaker on the back of the engine. There is usually a glob of rubber insulation over the terminals. Just push the volt meter probe through until you see a voltage reading. The key needs to be turned on for this reading. It should read close to the battery voltage. If you have good voltage then remove the connector on the protec and clean it with alcohol and then try running it again. If the voltage is low then that may be the problem and you will need to make some wiring changes to bring the voltage up. Even if the voltage is low there is also the distinct possibility that you need a new ignition system but I would try the wiring changes first.
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:06pm
Thanks for your assistance
First time I was checking the oil switch
with a summing and it was OK.
When I was checking the engine and switches the last time I found
that the oilswitch had a small signal (when it should be open) of 200 ohm.
I monted a new one and now it works 100%..
Thankyou Hollywood and desertskier for your assistance.
Best regards/Sven
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic