Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 Master Craft marine Ford 351 distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
El Juez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Juez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 Master Craft marine Ford 351 distributor
    Posted: September-10-2015 at 12:43pm
Gentlemen and Ladies,
I am so relieved to find this forum and ask someone to please respond. Please.
I have a Stars and Stripes edition and it ran beautifully. But the points, rotor, and especially the thing that spins inside the rotor cap must be replaced. I took out the whole distributor. I've looked everywhere for another but cannot find one.
Local store has one that looks identical but the new one has three wires. The old has two wires.
What is the third wire for and will the new one replace the old? If so, how do I know what the third wire is and which wire goes where.
Thank you kindly in advance.
El Juez
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 3:20pm
Make sure to use a marine distributor.   A very nice distributor replacement is DUI or Davis Unified Ignition. Does not need an external coil as the high energy coil is integrated into the cap.   It is a 2 wire hook up. One wire for 12 volt power and one wire for tachometer. Do a search here and you will find plenty of good information.

Other options are www.skidim.com.   Call them and talk to Vince. They have what you need and are very helpful.

Important note.   Since you removed the distributor, you must find top dead center on number one cylinder and reinstall distributor.   Note where rotor is pointing after reinstalling. That will now correspond to number 1 cylinder on the cap. Using the firing order, now you can then reattach the plug wires.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
El Juez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Juez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 3:37pm
I am deeply grateful for the time you took to answer, JQ. I will give you a "get out of jail free " card if you're ever in south MS and find a need for one. 😉. All the best, pal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic