Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mercruiser Thunderbolt Ignition, no spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercruiser Thunderbolt Ignition, no spark
    Posted: October-17-2015 at 5:20am
Is anyone familiar with the thunderbolt ignition, although I figure it is not unlike any other electronic ignition on these boats.

A bit of background I started the thread "Electrical Problems on '83 Nautique'

Summarized the boat ran fine, then seemed to develop an electrical fault, wouldn't start (as in starter would not turn) bridged out solenoid to get back to the shore. Then it started again okay, but under hard accel it started to surge, which I would say was a sudden shut off then back on again feeling, it wasn't spluttering really just off and immediately on again pulling hard, no delay.

So now boat is home, I started tinkering, after reading up about these issues a little more, I wanted to check my "points etc" at that time I hadn't actually bothered checking these things but clearly on inspection noticed it has the thunderbolt electronic ignition, (I pulled the disto cap only)

I closed it back up (didn't even pull the plug wires off) all back in exactly as I pulled it off.
Measured the coil (I think I did it right) and tried to start her up again, turns over fine, bar a dodgy Bendix but no start, not even an attempt at firing,
I sprayed a bit of quick start to see if it was a fuel issue, but nothing, I pulled a plug and grounded it, turned it over and nothing, not even a feint hint of a spark.

Where do I start we have just gotten into our season here,
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 6:22am
okay crisis averted, found some dodgy wiring on the ignition, small plug that goes to a little box that gets mounted to another box

I think its the ignition control module, has 4 wires (6 put 2 not connected??)
which goto the coil. One had broken off, connected that back up and she is running again,

revvs up hard no problem on the hose, will have to drag her to some water sometime to test under load. sheeew slight relief, I cant afford any more major repairs this year
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic