Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WaterSport Product Safety Laws + Regulations??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pshea814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pshea814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WaterSport Product Safety Laws + Regulations??
    Posted: January-12-2016 at 12:55pm
I will start by saying I wasn't sure where to post this question. I originally was over at TheHullTruth but they referred me to trying over here.

I have recently came up with a idea for a new type of tube for towing and recreation. I haven't found that it has been made before. I am not sure if no one has tried making it, or if there is certain laws and regulations preventing it from being produced based on safety or other measures.

Where would I find these kind of laws regarding production of a tube design? Or does it vary from state to state and if so still where would i locate laws specific to this area?

and example of types of laws and regulations I am searching for would be:
"Tube design requires 4 safety handles for securing riders grip during time of riding"
"Tube is designed/limited to speeds of "X" MPH.
"Rider must not be strapped into the tube in case of rollover"
etc.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum or area, and would appreciate any help and direction.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:11pm
You won't find much Tubing Love over here, lol

Not sure what, if any, regulations exist. Some years ago Wego?? or something like that created a tube that would kind of fly, people started dying and they were all recalled never to be seen again.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:28pm
Did whoever at TheHullTruth tell you to seek out PBrainard? PlanetNautique or TheMalibuCrew might be good sources. I guess anything manufactured and sold needs to have huge liability insurance. I met a guy last week that invented and produced the neatest temporary steps for climbing a tree to get to a tree stand. He sold a lot of them for a few years and then gave up due to the expensive product liability insurance required by stores before they would put it on their shelves.
pshea814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pshea814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:36pm
I figured I wouldnt find much Tube love over here, but i figure with all skiing, wakeboard, etc. someone would know where to find safety laws and regulations since they are all water sporting products that probably fall under the same kind of laws and regulations.
pshea814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pshea814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:37pm
or at least know where to look for the laws that apply to those sports, which could lead me to the laws that apply to tubing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:38pm
Yes I suspect someone at the hull truth was messing with you, as the tube talk around here is often flamed pretty badly. I doubt you will find any industry standards or regulations for towables, its basically what you and those you want to sell your products can stomach. If its a great concept I would do what you can to protect your intellectual product and then consider licensing it to one of the guys with the bi9 pockets.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
pshea814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pshea814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:46pm
I kind of figured it was a troll move because we definitely comment at anyone we see tubing with.....certain boats....on Lake Burton every summer. But i am anxious to find some direction so I figure i might as well try anywhere I can. Someone somewhere has a idea of where these are located.
pshea814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pshea814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:47pm
I want to protect it trust me, but patents are SO expensive......i know i am already patenting another (unrelated) idea currently haha.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:54pm
Betting the only reg's you will find would be more along the lines of laws or rules regarding skiing, which can vary from state to state, like riders required to wear a PFD or have one available in the towboat, having an observer or a mirror, etc. etc.

Hopefully whatever your idea is it would encourage the towboat to go in a straight line making as small a wake as possible

Good luck and let us know what you find out, if anything.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by pshea814 pshea814 wrote:

I kind of figured it was a troll move because we definitely comment at anyone we see tubing with.....certain boats....on Lake Burton every summer. But i am anxious to find some direction so I figure i might as well try anywhere I can. Someone somewhere has a idea of where these are located.

I would start here - Industry association
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 2:03pm
With the other item you are patenting, are you using a patent attorney? That would be my first step since they can typically tell you if an idea is even patentable. Then I would talk to an insurance underwriter to find out what insurance cost are. Then manufacturing costs, marketing, distribution etc.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 3:03pm
Tube design requires 4 safety handles for securing riders grip during time of riding"
"Tube is designed/limited to speeds of "X" MPH.
"Rider must not be strapped into the tube in case of rollover"

This simply does not exist.

You are referring to manufacturers recomendations ...no laws state how a rec tube is to be constructed or used....boating laws dictate how the towboat can be operated.
This is the life
pshea814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pshea814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 3:09pm
^^ this is the type of answer I was looking for.

I figured cars have laws and regulations in the US saying they must come equipped with seatbelts air bags etc.

so i figured why wouldnt similar things apply to boats, recreational products pulled by boats.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 4:47pm
tubers rule!

LMAO

Miss you guys!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 4:58pm
you d*ck
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 5:02pm
Lol UFLBert
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 6:28pm
FUBert
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 7:34pm
Best. Troll. Ever. I knew you guys would love that one.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 8:20pm
Hey even Pete went easy on him

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Hey even Pete went easy on him

Mark,
You're correct!! I figured if he took my suggestions seriously like he should regarding a patent attorney, an insurance underwriter, looking at manufacturing costs, marketing needs as well as a liability attorney, he would give up on his stupid insane idea. I have a feeling he already has had his brains beat out from riding too many tubes!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 9:54pm
State law says every tube must have a disclaimer in plain view stating that every tube ride ends with tube riders being spectacularly ejected from tube. No exceptions.
This is the life
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 9:59pm
Cracks me up when I see you guys on other forums. THT, Wakeworld, P Nautique etc. I have been on THT for ever and a day. I'm grandfathered since the old days and to see that masterful troll brought joy to my heart.
A hearty well done and tip of my cap.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 11:08pm

This is the only tubing that's going on in these here parts about now!
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic